Does BIND in libc.4.6.27 work as described?

Does BIND in libc.4.6.27 work as described?

Post by Christopher Neufe » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 04:12:22

   I'm running kernel 1.2.0 with GCC 2.6.2. Yesterday afternoon we had an
interesting failure at our site, which comprises several class C subnets.
My subnet's primary name server went berserk and stopped resolving names.
It apparently stormed our subnet, and confused our secondary name server,
which bounced up and down for a few hours while losing all contact with
my subnet.
   The effect on our Linux machines of losing both name servers was
interesting. Any attempt to resolve the hosts' names went first to the
name servers, and finally to the local /etc/hosts. That meant that the
login program waited about five minutes after accepting the password
before invoking the .login and .cshrc. Subshells took five minutes to
start up. Similarly for startx (resolving the name of the display).
Running "host -d" showed that it was interrogating the name servers right
off the bat.
   Until yesterday I had assumed that my /etc/hosts file was resolving
name requests, and then the resolver was falling back on network
resolution if the entry wasn't in /etc/hosts. This experience shows that
it was not the case.
   My resolv.conf reads:

domain physics.utoronto.ca
search physics.utoronto.ca utoronto.ca toronto.edu
order hosts bind
nameserver 128.100.75.99
nameserver 128.100.75.10
nameserver 128.100.51.81

   That last nameserver field I added afterwards, it is for another
department on campus and that sped things up a lot. I'm still curious to
know why my resolver isn't checking 'hosts' first.  Since these shells
took such a long time to start up I had ample time to check last access
times with "ls -ul" on these files. /etc/resolv.conf was accessed
immediately, but /etc/hosts was only read after the five minute delay. It
didn't fail to local the entry in hosts, it failed even to try.
   According to the NAG, what I've put in there should work. Any ideas
why my /etc/hosts file isn't being used?

--

 Home page:  http://caliban.physics.utoronto.ca/neufeld/Intro.html
 "Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity"

1. /lib/libc.so.4.5.26 and /lib/libc.so.4.6.27

: I recently upgraded to GCC 2.6.2 which requires the c library version
: 4.6.27.  So I installed this, and it stuck libc.so.4.6.27 in my /lib
: directory.  But libc.so.4.5.26 still exists there, and when I run gcc, it
: says 'using incompatible library 'lib/libc.so.4.5.26'.  I mistakenly
: removed 4.5.26 and had big problems.  So how do I tell gcc to recognize
: 4.6.27?, I must be missing a step.  (I just used pkgtool to load both gcc
: and the new libc (and libg++, include, image, and extralib).)  Anyway,
: any help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem but with 4.5.26. I run 4.4 now and have
installed all 4.5-files(I have copied all the files from a machine
with 4.5 from /lib). I have made the symlink libc.so.4 point to my new
library, but it still uses 4.4. Anyone?

--

2. Re-newfs disks when upgrading to Solaris?

3. Samba and Firewalling (Still not Working)

4. ghostscript and libc 4.6.27 not work together?

5. new site translation

6. ldconfig: warning: /lib/libc.so.4.6.27 is not a ZMAGIC file, skipping

7. dosemu color graphics - how?

8. login breaks w. libc.4.6.27

9. Problems after installation of libc.4.6.27

10. Found+fixed bug libc 4.6.27 - please comment

11. Linux 1.1.77 & libc 4.6.27 & system()

12. libc 4.6.27 bug