Is W2K Domain Membership Required for File Sharing from A Linux box?

Is W2K Domain Membership Required for File Sharing from A Linux box?

Post by L. Mark Bruff » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 02:58:37

Hi!

I am trying to do some pre-configuration research as I contemplate
adding a Linux file server to our W2K LAN (about 100 stations total
[95/98/2K mixed]). My purpose is to circumvent sluggishness
encountered by W2K desktops when accessing files from the W2K server.
The sluggishness appears to be due to the overhead of domain
authentication and active directory and kerberos authentication and
file serving (yes, we have a single box performing multiple
functions--not my choice).

My first question is: can I share files existing on a Linux box with
computers that ARE on the W2K domain, WITHOUT joining the Linux box to
the domain?

My second question is: If the answer is "No!" then I assume Linux must
join the domain. Will the speed I am seeking from Linux be compromised
or undermined by joining the domain?

My third question is: for either scenario, is it possible that a kind
soul would point me to a link that supplies clear instructions on how
to share the information from the Linux box? There are so many Linux
links out there that I hardly know where to begin.

FYI: I although I want to restrict access to the shared files, these
files are NOT the type requiring major security provisions.

[I could also use a pointer to a site that clearly details initial
Linux setup as well]

Sincere thanks,

L. Mark Bruffey
Central Seminary
Plymouth  MN

Post by $uRoo » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 08:24:57

> My first question is: can I share files existing on a Linux box with
> computers that ARE on the W2K domain, WITHOUT joining the Linux box to
> the domain?

Sure, just run an FTP server.

That, not being the answer you were looking for, leads us to another
option.  Samba (www.samba.org) will allow you to set up NT-esque shares
which are accessible via "My Computer".  Samba can be run as part of a
domain - in fact, it can even serve as a domain controller (I have it
setup to do this here at home), but that isn't necessarily required.
Read the docs at the url above for more info & the answers to the
remainder of your questions.

Good luck.

--
William Carty
http://www.thinktankdecoy.com

Is W2K Domain Membership Required for File Sharing from A Linux box?

Post by L. Mark Bruff » Sun, 09 Feb 2003 00:58:10

Thanks William. I shall proceed!

> > My first question is: can I share files existing on a Linux box with
> > computers that ARE on the W2K domain, WITHOUT joining the Linux box to
> > the domain?

> Sure, just run an FTP server.

> That, not being the answer you were looking for, leads us to another
> option.  Samba (www.samba.org) will allow you to set up NT-esque shares
> which are accessible via "My Computer".  Samba can be run as part of a
> domain - in fact, it can even serve as a domain controller (I have it
> setup to do this here at home), but that isn't necessarily required.
> Read the docs at the url above for more info & the answers to the
> remainder of your questions.

> Good luck.

1. Authenticating Linux Box to W2K Domain / Shares by Machine Name -- Possible?

Is it possible, using SAMBA 3, to authenticate a MACHINE to W2K domain
so that domain shares may be accessed?

That is, FROM the Linux box, I want to connect to shares on the W2K
server.

For instance, I want to connect to //server/share$ using smbmount, but
without authenticating as a USER, but rather by authenticating as
MACHINE.

I CAN authenticate to the desired share as USER, but apparently not as
MACHINE, even though MACHINE appears to have successfully joined the
domain and I have given MACHINE all the necessary permissions for
MACHINE on the share from the W2K Server.

I would expect, in this case, to map using smbmount //server/share
/mnt/dir without being prompted for a password. However, I do get
prompted for a password; therefore, I conclude that (1) what I want
can't be done, or (2) more likely, I have not set up the configuration
correctly.

MACHINE appears to be OK on domain, because I can, for instance,
browse to an smb share on MACHINE from the W2K box ok. MACHINE, of
course, appears in the W2K list of "computers."

Thanks,

Mark

2. Time

3. Can't connect W2K Box To Linux Box

4. which IRQ for SLS Mitsumi

5. Debian/Samba connecting to W2K Domain shares

6. Running out of colors under X !!!

7. sharing file linux and w2k

8. C compiler

9. Sharing files between W2k and RedHat

10. Problems connecting to W2K file share from RedHat 6.2 machine as client

11. pbs with a W2K domain, and a linux DNS

12. can i share the monitor between 2 linux box w switch box?

13. LINUX BOX to WIN 98 BOX sharing