two ip addresses one fixed and one static

two ip addresses one fixed and one static

Post by Stephen Lohnin » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:49:52

I am trying to set up my rh7.3 to have to connections to the net. One
though a ppp link with a static IP address and the other with a dymanic
IP address attached to my cable modem. I would like to have the majority
of the traffic going in and out on the cable modem with reference to my
DNS going to the static ppp link. Any idea how I set up the routing ?
at the moment if I turn on both links I get them both as being the
default route and I suspect this will not work . Any suggestion ?

two ip addresses one fixed and one static

Post by Jan Geertsm » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 02:31:58

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links...

goodluck

Quote:> I am trying to set up my rh7.3 to have to connections to the net. One

Post by Rob Warr » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 06:14:50

Quote:> I am trying to set up my rh7.3 to have to connections to the net. One
> though a ppp link with a static IP address and the other with a dymanic
> IP address attached to my cable modem. I would like to have the majority
> of the traffic going in and out on the cable modem with reference to my
> DNS going to the static ppp link. Any idea how I set up the routing ?
> at the moment if I turn on both links I get them both as being the
> default route and I suspect this will not work . Any suggestion ?

I've got some Perl scripts that automate a lot of what you're trying to do.
You're welcome to them; drop me a line if you need help configuring (the
documentation isn't the greatest, and is in the process of being rewritten).

http://www.greslin.org/code

Rob Warren                                   AIM: Greslin2

Tampa, Florida                               http://www.greslin.org

1. RH5.2: Two NICs, one DHCP, one static IP

My machine has two NICs (3c900).  The first (eth0) one is connected to a LAN
(one other machine, HP-UX) and the second (eth1) to a cable MODEM.  I am using
DHCP on eth1.  The problem I am having is that when the HP-UX machine is down
and I boot (Redhat 5.2 Linux 2.0.36), I get "failed" when it tries to use DHCP
for eth1.  If the HP-UX machine is up, it succeeds.

After the machine has booted (and DHCP has failed), if I login as "root" and do:
1)  ifdown eth0
2)  ifup eth1

Then it works.

What's going on here?!?!?!

I find this very peculiar because the first time I installed Linux, I didn't
have this problem.  I had a system crash and reinstalled it.  This is when the
problems started.

Any help is appreciated.
--

"What is understood need not be discussed." - Loren Adams

2. voice mail systems for linux

3. two ip addresses / two gateways / one machine?

4. TEST

5. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

6. Promise RAID hot swap?

7. two ip address / two gateways / one computer?

8. apache 1.1.0 and clients hanging

9. One system, one NIC, two network addresses?

10. More than one IP address on one ethernet card?

11. How to have more than one IP addresses on one interface card?

12. Multiple Static IP addresses and one PPP connection.

13. Using more than one ip address on one eth-card