A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

Post by maure.. » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:38:51

In our small network, we have several w9x clients, a w2k server and a
linux server. To date, integration of these has been going ok. However,
today, we brought up some clients that cannot ping to the linux server
(all of this by IP address), but they can ping to the w2k server, which
are physically next to each other, and connect to the same switch. There
have been no problems with communication between the linux system, w2k
system and other computers on site. The clients use dhcp on the w2k
server to get their ip addresses. The only issues that I can think of at
this time is that the problem systems are on the longest runs from the
hub, which appear to be a little over the 100m line, and the linux and
w2k units (probably) have different nics. Can anybody out there shed
some light on this situation?

Thanks,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

Post by Aidan Anderso » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:41:59

I have experienced problems connecting terminals over a distanct greater
than 100m.  In the first instance I would bring one of the problem PCs
closer to the hub and test that first.  I don't have much experience with
DHCP, I have always used fixed IPs in my networks.  If the Linux Server is
using fixed IPs, you could have a subnet/gateway issue.  If the first point
doesn't help, give me more details on how the Linux server is set up and I
maybe able to help further.

Regards,
Aidan Anderson

> In our small network, we have several w9x clients, a w2k server and a
> linux server. To date, integration of these has been going ok. However,
> today, we brought up some clients that cannot ping to the linux server
> (all of this by IP address), but they can ping to the w2k server, which
> are physically next to each other, and connect to the same switch. There
> have been no problems with communication between the linux system, w2k
> system and other computers on site. The clients use dhcp on the w2k
> server to get their ip addresses. The only issues that I can think of at
> this time is that the problem systems are on the longest runs from the
> hub, which appear to be a little over the 100m line, and the linux and
> w2k units (probably) have different nics. Can anybody out there shed
> some light on this situation?

> Thanks,

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. can ping but cannot get to www or cannot ping by name

   internet

Linksys Router
     1.1.1.1

 ---1.1.1.2--
 | linux router|      <---Machine A
 |  redhat      |
 ---1.1.2.1--

 ---1.1.2.3--
|   linux        |        <---Machine B
|   redhat     |
-------------

Above is how things are setup at my house(excuse the drawing).

From Machine B, I can ping machine A(both ethernet) and I can ping Linksys
Router and Also ping the ip address that is out on the internet.

From Machine A, I can ping everything(including the name (like yahoo.com)
out on the internet).

For my Machine B, I have the same configuration on /etc/resolv.conf

It looks like, on Machine A, I am running ipchains(iptables is installed but
I guess I can't run both at the sametime).

When I do ipchains -h, below is part of results I get

Chain forward (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
MASQ       all  ------  192.168.2.0/24       anywhere              n/a

Considering I am total newbie, I think I have done well so far, but I need
some friendly advice ;-)

ps: also, why would somebody run ipchains versus iptables? what's better?
Can it be run at the sametime(why would anybody want to?)

Thanks in advance.

2. Misreported oslevel

3. cannot ping internal network (ping operation not permitted)

4. X Windows startup problem

5. RH 6.2 cannot ping, but will respond to ping and telnet

6. PCAP for hp-ux

7. ping localhost fails; ping 127.0.0.1 works

8. source code

9. Can ping "localhost" but can't ping my own IP...why?

10. ping <ipv6-host> does not work, ping <ipv6-ip> does

11. ping localhost -> OK, ping myhost -> dies

12. Can't ping local host but can ping others

13. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box