US Robotics modem

Post by Tao K » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Greetings,

  I have a US Robotics modem (Sportster 33.6 fax modem, serial number
67084001).  I am wonder whether it is supported by Linux.  In the serial
howto, it is mentioned US Robotics winmodem and any other modems using
windows Rockwell RPI are not supported.

  Thanks a lot in advance,

  Tao Ke
--
Room 56-570, Lab of Enzyme Technology
Dept of Chemistry, MIT, 77 Mass Ave, MA 02139

US Robotics modem

Post by Michael Street » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Greetings,

>  I have a US Robotics modem (Sportster 33.6 fax modem, serial number
>67084001).  I am wonder whether it is supported by Linux.  In the serial
>howto, it is mentioned US Robotics winmodem and any other modems using
>windows Rockwell RPI are not supported.

>  Thanks a lot in advance,

>  Tao Ke

Hi,

Yes the USR Sportster 33.6 is supported by Linux.

I am using one on a linux PC configured as a 4 line mini ISP with excellent
results. I am also using 1 USR Courier and 2 Sportster 28.8 with good results.

The win modem is an internal plug and play modem designed only to work with
Win 95.

Hope this helps.

Michael Streeter

US Robotics modem

Post by the Almighty Chee » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Greetings,

>   I have a US Robotics modem (Sportster 33.6 fax modem, serial number
> 67084001).  I am wonder whether it is supported by Linux.  In the serial
> howto, it is mentioned US Robotics winmodem and any other modems using
> windows Rockwell RPI are not supported.

Yes, I've got a USR Sportster 33.6 and it works just fine. I think the
serial howto was refering to the winmodem concept. This is a cheap modem
that doesn't have its own control chip and relies on Windows to do all
its thinking for it, which can slow down your system and is also quite a
problem if you don't have Windows :-). Most modems worth the packaging
they come in are Hayes compatible, so you should need any special setup
for this.

Bruce

| Proud user of Linux!             | http://www.cs.uct.ac.za/~bmerry |
|           No, `Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot'.        |

1. US Robotics MODEM Sportster 14.4 Internal

Hello,

I'm just about to purchase some US Robotics 14.4 Internal FAX/MODEMs
which I intend to setup on IRQ2 and COM3 (that's the only feasible
IRQ I can use). Will Linux give me some problems with the IRQ2
setup for the cards ?

Thanks,

Eric

--
Eric Masson (398 3937)

2. UQWK sources wanted

3. US Robotics Modem

4. Error log messages

5. Dial in US Robotics modem drops connection. Help!

6. BINDISTRIB:patch2.1

7. US Robotics Modem Problem on RH60

8. A problem with Netscape for Linux

9. How to get software drivers for US Robotics Modem ?

10. US Robotics Modem - How to Setup for Dial-In/Out?

11. US Robotics Modems and SLIP/PPP??

12. US Robotics modem hangs/freezes

13. New US Robotics modem won't dial; browser won't find web pages