Samba vs. DHCPd vs. NAMEd

Post by Douglas M. Pervin » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi..

  I have the following network setup:

server1.doug.net
44.128.7.1
DHCPd running..
Samba 2.0.7 acting as PDC
(Redhat 6.2 : Kernel 2.2.14-6.1.1)

work2.doug.net
DHCP client
(WINNT 4.0 w/SP6a)

  So far everything works fine except..     When I PING work2 from
server1 I get no reply..     I can PING server1 from work2 and I get
and I get responses..     I think my problem is somewhere between
NAMED and DHCPD on server1..   I just can't figure is out..

  Does anyone have any suggestions??   Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

V/R
DMPervine

Samba vs. DHCPd vs. NAMEd

Post by Trevor Ker » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

> Samba 2.0.7 acting as PDC

Does this release of Samba do PDC - I do not think so.

Quote:>   So far everything works fine except..     When I PING work2 from
> server1 I get no reply..     I can PING server1 from work2 and I get
> and I get responses..     I think my problem is somewhere between
> NAMED and DHCPD on server1..   I just can't figure is out..

>   Does anyone have any suggestions??   Any help would be greatly
> appreciated!

Just for interest, add the full IP and machine_name lines to /etc/hosts
and see if that does it.

--
Trevor Kerr
Blackburn  Victoria  Australia

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. Lost package information in SuSE YaST

3. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

4. MAKE BZIMAGE - ERROR 127

5. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

6. AH 2940UW && CD && 2.2

7. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

8. Problems with Slackware 1.1.2

9. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

10. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

11. Samba vs. DHCPd

12. Linux vs Win2KAdvSvr vs Samba