Connecting to Internet VIA NT Server and MS Proxy

Connecting to Internet VIA NT Server and MS Proxy

Post by Kevin Petrace » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to connect to the internet with  Linux RedHat ver. 6.0 using
Netscape 4.51.  I have set the Manual proxy configuration to point to my NT
server.  All the Internet protocols have 192.168.11.35 port 80, except for
socks host it has port 1080. I am able to ping my NT server (192.168.11.35).

Socks permissions in MS Proxy 2.0 on my NT server are set to pemit all, port
GE (greater than or equal to) 0.

I have a NIC in the NT server for the local network and one connected to my
adsl modem.  I am able to use Windows 98 computer on the local network to
connect to the Internet via the NT server no problem.

I have a user account setup on the NT server that I use on the Windows 98
computer to logon to the local network.  I use this same account to login to
the Linux computer, but when I try to access the Internet on the Linux
computer I get the message...

 Netscape's network connection was refused by the server.
The server may not be accepting connections or may be busy.
Try connecting again later.

I think it's a permission problem but I'm not sure how to fix it. Can anyone
tell me what I'm doing wrong?

As a side note, if i change the proxie setting in Netscape on the Linux
computer to "Direct connection to the Internet" I can access my Webpage that
I have setup on my NT server.  But when I try going outside my LAN with
Netscape on this setting I get the error ...

Netscape is unable to locate the server www.netscape.com.
Please check the server name and try again.

What am I doing wrong or am I total out to lunch?

Connecting to Internet VIA NT Server and MS Proxy

Post by Nicholas E Couchma » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

home on
WinNT, but I haven't tried connecting throught the Proxy w/ RedHat.  I
will have
to try and get back to you.  The last error is because it couldn't find
a DNS
server.  It's normal if you don't have a direct inet connection and you
try to
connect directly anyway.
To solve the first error, try this.  On your WinNT machine, go to start
-> Programs -> Microsoft Internet Information Server -> Internet Service
Manager.
When this program comes up, it should list all of the
web/proxy/ftp/gopher services running on your computer.  Double click on
the one that says WebProxy.  Click the tab labled "permissions".   There
is a little check box that says "enable access control."  If it is not
check, check it.  There should be a little selection box with "FTP
Access" in it.  Make sure that "everyone" is listed as having this
access.  Do this for every item in the selection box.  If that doesn't
work, make sure the access control box is unchecked and try again.
--Nick

> I'm trying to connect to the internet with  Linux RedHat ver. 6.0 using
> Netscape 4.51.  I have set the Manual proxy configuration to point to my NT
> server.  All the Internet protocols have 192.168.11.35 port 80, except for
> socks host it has port 1080. I am able to ping my NT server (192.168.11.35).

> Socks permissions in MS Proxy 2.0 on my NT server are set to pemit all, port
> GE (greater than or equal to) 0.

> I have a NIC in the NT server for the local network and one connected to my
> adsl modem.  I am able to use Windows 98 computer on the local network to
> connect to the Internet via the NT server no problem.

> I have a user account setup on the NT server that I use on the Windows 98
> computer to logon to the local network.  I use this same account to login to
> the Linux computer, but when I try to access the Internet on the Linux
> computer I get the message...

>  Netscape's network connection was refused by the server.
> The server may not be accepting connections or may be busy.
> Try connecting again later.

> I think it's a permission problem but I'm not sure how to fix it. Can anyone
> tell me what I'm doing wrong?

> As a side note, if i change the proxie setting in Netscape on the Linux
> computer to "Direct connection to the Internet" I can access my Webpage that
> I have setup on my NT server.  But when I try going outside my LAN with
> Netscape on this setting I get the error ...

> Netscape is unable to locate the server www.netscape.com.
> Please check the server name and try again.

> What am I doing wrong or am I total out to lunch?

1. MS$ NT > Linux Firewall > Internet > MS$ NT PPTP Server

Please excuse the <seemingly> newbie question, but I have an issue.  I
would like the ability to manage my corporate network from home via PPTP
rather than 28.8k PPP.  I have a cable modem at home, with a Linux
router / firewall.  I'm unable to establish a PPTP connection through
the Linux box.  Below are the specs:

Linux Box:
    PII233 96MB RAM
    RH Linux 6.0, kernel 2.2.14
    IPCHAINS

NT Box:
    NT4 Wks SP5
    NIC / Modem
    PPTP client

I can connect via PPTP in any environment not including my Linux box,
and according to the documentation at the IP Masquerading Resource,
there's a kernel patch.  Unfortunately, I have had no luck finding the
patch for a 2.2.14 kernel.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nathan Underwood

http://www.utcm.com

2. Cross Posting

3. Internet Access via MS-Proxy Server

4. Linux for MS-DOS Filesystems release 0.1.a

5. Internet access from linux box via MS Proxy Server?

6. Ethernet Trouble between desktop and laptop

7. Linux to Internet via MS Proxy Server?

8. File Server Configuration

9. Linux --> NT --> MS Proxy Server --> Internet

10. Help: Setting up INTERNET access through an MS-NT Proxy Server

11. FBSD client to internet via NT Server/Proxy

12. Question: Connect Linux to NT File / Internet Proxy Server

13. Linux client with MS Proxy Server 2.0 on NT Server