Network won't start on boot

Post by Daniel Pfennige » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

This one should be easy for Linux gurus.

While booting (2.0.35 RH5.1) everything goes fine except
at the moment of starting portmap.  I get

Enabling IPv4 packet forwarding.
sysctl: ip forwarding enabled
Starting portmapper: portmap
Mounting remote filesystems.mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC:
Unable to send

Starting system loggers: syslogd klogd

Then snmdp, inetd, named, routed, lpd, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, sendmail
start without complaint.

To start the network I have to root login and start it manually.

Could a good soul provide some hint of a solution why portmap refuses
to start at boot but obviously does it later?

Thanks, Dan

Network won't start on boot

Post by Chris Zimmerma » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi!

> This one should be easy for Linux gurus.

> While booting (2.0.35 RH5.1) everything goes fine except
> at the moment of starting portmap.  I get

> Enabling IPv4 packet forwarding.
> sysctl: ip forwarding enabled
> Starting portmapper: portmap
> Mounting remote filesystems.mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC:
> Unable to send

> Starting system loggers: syslogd klogd

> Then snmdp, inetd, named, routed, lpd, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, sendmail
> start without complaint.

> To start the network I have to root login and start it manually.

> Could a good soul provide some hint of a solution why portmap refuses
> to start at boot but obviously does it later?

> Thanks, Dan

Go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and add ONBOOT=yes.  Of
course, you will need to make sure that your networking is setup
properly.  The files you will want to edit are /etc/sysconfig/network
and the other file mentioned at the start.
Let me know if this helps...

-Chris Zimmerman

Network won't start on boot

Post by Daniel Pfennige » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > While booting (2.0.35 RH5.1) everything goes fine except
> > at the moment of starting portmap.  I get
> > Starting portmapper: portmap
> > Mounting remote filesystems.mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC:
> > Unable to send

> > Starting system loggers: syslogd klogd
> > To start the network I have to root login and start it manually.

> Go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and add ONBOOT=yes.  Of
> course, you will need to make sure that your networking is setup
> properly.  The files you will want to edit are /etc/sysconfig/network
> and the other file mentioned at the start.
> Let me know if this helps...

> -Chris Zimmerman

Doing so I saw that the network didn't start because the pcmcia
wasn't set.  So I displaced the pcmcia in the boot sequence,
and now everything boots great.  The message

 Mounting remote filesystems.mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC:

was due to nfsfs.  I have removed it without noticing a problem.
Its is not clear from the doc which of nfs or nfsfs should be installed.

Anyway, now the Libretto boots fine with Linux.
Thanks Chris!

Dan

1. Curious Networking problem: Installed via FTP but now the Network won't start.

Hi,

I've successfully installed RH5.2 via FTP to a 486/66.

However, I've run across an odd error.  The network refuses to initialize.
I'm a bit new to linux so I'll give you what I feel are the relevant details
based on my readings of HOWTO's etc.

I get the following message while booting up:

insmod:  /lib/modules/preferred/net eepro.o: init_module : Device or
resource busy.
Delaying etho initialization

Here are the settings that I have I have been looking at and changed a
couple of times but nothing seems to work.

In the Kernel Configurator:
type        module    arguments
etho        eepro      io=0x210 irq=11
eepro    <blank>    io=0x210 irq=11

contents of /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORK=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=no
HOSTNAME=poe.<leftout>.org
DOMAINNAME=<leftout>.org
GATEWAY=
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

In the network configurator for device eth0
IP: 10.0.0.10
Netmask: 255.0.0.0
Network: 10.0.0.0 (I'm a little unsure of exactly what this is here)
Broadcast: 10.255.255.255
<yes> Activate interface at boot time
protocol: none.

Any suggestions anyone?  I did install Linux then transport the system to
another local so something might have been damaged in the transport, but the
other computer that was on top of it is fine...

I'm just stumped here.

-David Evans

2. <'XVidTune'>

3. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

4. Ohhh.... Modules... Please HELP! :-)

5. xfs won't start at boot time

6. dlopen problem

7. httpd won't start at boot time

8. Is it possible to intercept I/O of a program?

9. Network interface and DHCP won't start, Solaris 9

10. HELP! srcmstr won't start at boot

11. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

12. changing NICs - new NIC won't start on boot

13. samba won't start at boot