what static routes are automtically added? and routed.

what static routes are automtically added? and routed.

Post by Confus » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:53:38

What are the routes which get automatically added to the routing
table, when an interface is brought up? And for what reason?
The question arises because I have an entry in my routing table for
255.255.255.255, which I didn't have some days ago. How comes it's now
added everytime the interface is brought up?
Routed: when I kill routed on the router, the hosts lose the route
they got from him sometimes immediately, sometimes after a while  But
some other times they don't lose them at all!! why is it?
Netconf: sometimes when I ask it to activate the changes immediately,
it does not activate them at all. Someitmes it does. why??
Another question, maybe off-topic on this NG. At which is stage is
networking brought up at system startup? (I assume some script must
contain a call to ifconfig, but which one? It does not say it on the
Networking documents).
thx in advance. and sorry for the multiple questions.
PS = Mandrake 7.1/7.2, kernel >2.2
PS= referring me to the right documents is OK, I can go and read, I
just didn't find explanations of these issues.

Post by Duck » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 05:14:43

> What are the routes which get automatically added to the routing table,
> when an interface is brought up? And for what reason? The question
> arises because I have an entry in my routing table for 255.255.255.255,
> which I didn't have some days ago.

I had a NIC configured for DHCP and switched it to static and changed it's
network. After rebooting the old DHCP route was added to the routing
table. Only way I could remove it permanently was to remove the ipcfg-eth0
file (from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts) then run 'services network
restart' and reboot, then readd the file and run  'services network
restart' again. hope this helps ;)

--
Version: 3.12

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rocket-tcltk/ - Project web page for Rocket

http://rocket-tcltk.sourceforge.net/ - Home page for Rocket

        Duck

1. What Is Proper Way to Add Static Routes ot Routing Table?

I have a RH Linux 7.1 system I am using as a firewall.  It has two NICs
one on the inside and one on the Internet.  The inside ip addr is
192.168.1.32.

I am on network 192.168.1.0

My default gateway is 192.168.1.32 (the inside NIC on the Linux Firewall)

I have masquerading configured.

I can get to anywhere on the Internet as well as anywhere on my network.

I have other inside networks i.e., 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.3.0

I cannot get to these networks.

The router interface on my network is 192.168.1.1

This was my default gateway until I put up the Linux firewall as an
experiment.

I want to add two routes to the routing table on the Linux firewall to
route to these other two networks as my default gateway is now the Linux
box.

I tried using the route command e.g.,

route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1
route add -net 192.168.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1

After I add the routes I type route and I see them added to the routing
table.  But they do not route packets to the other two internal networks.

Have I missed something?  Do I need to reboot or something?  Is the route
command the way to add static routes?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Naves

2. Voice modem software wanted

3. Routing problems - with static routes

4. Solaris emulation (solemul)?????

5. route and static route to a gateway

6. Problem with make menuconfig

7. routing with static-routes...

8. disktab entry for HP 97544s drive

9. Why routed doesn't send static routes?

10. routing with static-routes...aahh

11. PPP Static Routes won't route to eth0

12. routed adds wrong default route

13. How to add static *network* route?