2 telnet questions

Post by Dave » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Lets say I'm connected to a remote system via
telnet. How do I:

- put a file from my local system to the remote one
- get a file from the remote system to my local system

Is this possible to do using telnet or do I have to use ftp
for this?

thanks in advance, Dave

2 telnet questions

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Lets say I'm connected to a remote system via
>telnet. How do I:

>- put a file from my local system to the remote one
>- get a file from the remote system to my local system

>Is this possible to do using telnet or do I have to use ftp
>for this?

One way is to set up .rhosts on your Linux box with a list of domains and
usernames allowed to connect to you, then use 'rcp' (see 'man rlogin' and
'man rcp'). There may also be something that can do this more securely
(crypted) using ssh.

But I usually simply open an ftp program and use that.  If using the
console, are you aware that you have at least 6 virtual terminals at your
disposal (Alt-F1 thru Alt-F6), and can set up more if you want them?  Of
course in X it is easy to open an ftp program or another xterm for ncftp.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. telnet question

I am running Solaris 5.7 on a machine and suddenly I am not able to
telnet or rlogin into it. I can still ftp fine but when I try to telnet
I get this

Trying I.P. adress ...
Connected to sunbox.
Escape character is '^]'.

But I never get a login prompt.

When I try to rlogin it just hangs, I get no prompt of any kind.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? This happens no matter
which port I try to telnet into.  Any suggestions or ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

Jose

2. coupons,contests,$ and more

3. Fun little script

4. PHP4 not working on new RedHat 7.2 install

5. Another root telnet question

6. Why does tin say PROBLEM_

7. configuration files & telnet question

8. Telnet Question

9. Telnet question

10. where do i ask a telnet question?