IPX and Kernel

Post by Jason Tall » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm currently using version 2.x of the Kernel and trying to get IPX to
recognize my Novell server.  I have tried the ipx_* commands with no
luck.  After a little more research, I learned I have to build my
kernel w/ IPX.  Some of the HOWTO make mention of this, but I have
never built a kernel before.  How does one go about this?  I have
downloaded the ncpfs, but it also says that the kernel does not have
IPX in it.  Is there a way to load an IPX module?  If not, can someone
point me in the right direction to read about building kernels.  Any
input would be appreciated!  Thanks!

IPX and Kernel

Post by Bernard Arumainath » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: kernel w/ IPX.  Some of the HOWTO make mention of this, but I have
: never built a kernel before.  How does one go about this?  I have
: downloaded the ncpfs, but it also says that the kernel does not have
: IPX in it.  Is there a way to load an IPX module?  If not, can someone
: point me in the right direction to read about building kernels.  Any
: input would be appreciated!  Thanks!
:
:
goto /usr/src/linux
do make clean
do make config (hit the enter key for everything except for the IPX
options. select m (module) or y (yes include in the main build) for the
various options.
do make dep
do make zdisk (creates a bootable disk so have a diskette in the floppy
drive)
do make modules
do  make modules_install and you should be done.