ISP/PPP Connection Problems

Post by Shaqb » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP (Erols Internet).  I'm
using SuSE 5.3 Linux and an internal PnP Diamond Stealth 28.8 modem.
I've been using the YaST (SuSE's set-up panel), KDE, and minicom without
any luck so far. However, I have been able to correctly associate my
modem with a UART com port.

When I run "ppp-up" (/etc/suseppp/scripts/ppp-up) I get the following
message in my system log: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, UID 0,
tcetattr:invalid argument, exit.  I never hear a dialtone or "click" when
I attempt to connect.  Note that I have set my authentification type to
"terminal" since YaST does not offer a "manual" connect option.  (Note
that when I log on to my ISP under Windows I get a user name and password
box which must be completed before a PPP connection session is started).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone has
specific instruction on how to set-up/troubleshoot a SuSE 5.3 PPP
connection using an internal modem and Erols Internet it would be most
welcome.

Post by Mike Fris » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>using SuSE 5.3 Linux and an internal PnP Diamond Stealth 28.8 modem.

If your modem is a "Winmodem" (requiring a device driver in Windows in
order to operate), it is not Linux compatible and probably never will be.
This includes all of Diamond's PCI modems.

Are you using isapnptools to configure the modem and make it visible to
Linux?

Mike.

  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

ISP/PPP Connection Problems

Post by Ronald Schier » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Shaqboo schrieb:

Quote:

> I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP (Erols Internet).  I'm
> using SuSE 5.3 Linux and an internal PnP Diamond Stealth 28.8 modem.
> I've been using the YaST (SuSE's set-up panel), KDE, and minicom without
> any luck so far. However, I have been able to correctly associate my
> modem with a UART com port.

> When I run "ppp-up" (/etc/suseppp/scripts/ppp-up) I get the following
> message in my system log: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, UID 0,
> tcetattr:invalid argument, exit.  I never hear a dialtone or "click" when
> I attempt to connect.  Note that I have set my authentification type to
> "terminal" since YaST does not offer a "manual" connect option.  (Note
> that when I log on to my ISP under Windows I get a user name and password
> box which must be completed before a PPP connection session is started).

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone has
> specific instruction on how to set-up/troubleshoot a SuSE 5.3 PPP
> connection using an internal modem and Erols Internet it would be most
> welcome.

I think you should test a normal modem connection to be sure that the
link to your modem is working well.
Then you should look at the Init string for the modem.

Ronald

ISP/PPP Connection Problems

Post by Frederick Bogi » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm having exactly the same problem with my internal modem, with the
same error message. Only in my case it works properly some of the time.
If I could only figure out what happens in between the times it works
and the times it doesn't, I'd be a happy man. Anyone out there have any
ideas?

Fred

1. ISP connection sharing via a PPP connection with NULL-MODEM

I have two computers with RH Linux 6.2 and one modem.
I have configured the first PC with NetCfg to connect to my ISP via PPP.
Now, i have connected the other PC to the first one with a NULL-MODEM serial
cable, and i'd like to share its Internet connection via that serial line.

I think i need to configure a PPP-Client on the second PC and a PPP-Server
on the first-one, but i dont know how to do it...

I also dont understand what is the name of PPPD's dynamically created
"network device"... how can i see it?

How can i do that?
Can you help me?

Please forward the replay to my e-mail, too.

Thanx to all!

2. SoftPC for Linux

3. Serious Problems with PPP Connection - ISP+Redhat out of ideas...

4. Help! - Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03

5. Problem Establishing PPP Connection to my isp

6. New Message Board for WinLinux 2000

7. PPP to ISP connection problem

8. ntalkd replicas

9. Problem connecting to ISP through a Linux PPP connection???

10. Linux - Problem with PPP Connection to ISP

11. PPP / ISP Connection Problems

12. pppd problem making PPP connection with ISP

13. connection problem w/ ISP via PPP