need help changing ip address

Post by Patrick McCan » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I need to change the ip address and subnet mask on a linux box running
Red Hat v2.0.34. There is no GUI so I need the command line commands.
Any help would be appreciated. Also, is it true this can be accomplished
without rebooting the system?

Thanks,
Pat

need help changing ip address

Post by Tyler Hudso » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

you can use the 'netconf' utility whcih will pop up a command line gui. You
can also use the 'ifconfig'.  type "man ifconfig".

Tyler

Quote:> I need to change the ip address and subnet mask on a linux box running

Post by Jerry Gluc » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:32:08

> I need to change the ip address and subnet mask on a linux box running
> Red Hat v2.0.34. There is no GUI so I need the command line commands.
> Any help would be appreciated. Also, is it true this can be accomplished
> without rebooting the system?

> Thanks,
> Pat

If you have linuxconf installed (it was on my 5.2 with 2.0.36 system), you
can set it up from there. And yes, it is true, you don't have to reboot the
system (like that Other OS).

-Jerry

Post by Vilmos Sot » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:45:34

> I need to change the ip address and subnet mask on a linux box running
> Red Hat v2.0.34. There is no GUI so I need the command line commands.

Huh, that is a pretty old kernel even for 2.0.x.
Consider upgrading to the latest 2.0.x kernel.

The way to change is through the ifconfig command. man ifconfig.
First bring down the interface you wish to change the associated IP
address, then reassign an IP address to it. In the following examples,
I use the most probable eth0 interface (the first ethernet card),
but you might have to change it.

ifconfig                     # figure out your if, like eth0
ifconfig eth0 down           # detach the IP address from the interface
ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4        # attach a new interface

If the change is permanent, then find the config file for the
interface in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (for eth0)
and edit it. After, bring down the interface and bring it up again.

/sbin/ifdown eth0; /sbin/ifup eth0

Quote:> Any help would be appreciated. Also, is it true this can be
> accomplished without rebooting the system?

As you can see, yes. Under Linux you generally need to reboot the
machine if you add new hardware (inserting a floppy doesn't count),
install a new kernel, or power failure.

Vilmos

1. Need Help Changing IP address

I am having HUGE problems trying to change the IP address for
my RS-6000.

Here's what I'm doing:
1) I go into 'smit chinet', and change the IP address
2) smit reports the change succeeded, so I exit smit
3) I do a netstat -i which reports the new address
4) Reboot
5) netstat -i shows the old address!

Is there something I'm missing or forgetting to do?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

2. iptables QUEUE mode

3. newbie needs help changing IP address.

4. DHCP - DNS Serach order

5. newbie needs help changing IP address

6. Installing Linux on a COMPAQ LTE5100

7. change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

8. Popping sound when XMMS or KDE Media Player starts

9. Changing IP address on Solaris 9 with multiple virtual IP addresses

10. Help needed on changing IP address

11. Need help changing machines IP address

12. Help - Need to change IP addresses V 3.25 & 4.1.4

13. I need to change the IP address