Usage based billing

Post by Sonn » Tue, 20 Nov 2007 01:42:47

Has anyone here implemented a usage based billing system by sniffing
HTTP packets? I tried searching it in the Web but come up short. I
just want to know how to do it, i mean, a successful web download has
a series of 200 OKs. What is the best indication that a page is
successfully downloaded? Thanks.

Usage based billing

Post by D. Stuss » Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:58:45

Quote:> Has anyone here implemented a usage based billing system by sniffing
> HTTP packets? I tried searching it in the Web but come up short. I
> just want to know how to do it, i mean, a successful web download has
> a series of 200 OKs. What is the best indication that a page is
> successfully downloaded? Thanks.

How about a firewall packet counter?

Usage based billing

Post by Antoine Juno » Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:53:12

>> Has anyone here implemented a usage based billing system by sniffing
>> HTTP packets? I tried searching it in the Web but come up short. I
>> just want to know how to do it, i mean, a successful web download has
>> a series of 200 OKs. What is the best indication that a page is
>> successfully downloaded? Thanks.

> How about a firewall packet counter?

Does it need a lot of CPU ressources? Does is slow down the
throughput?

Thanks for your reply,
-AJ

Usage based billing

Post by Sonn » Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:36:53

> >> Has anyone here implemented a usage based billing system by sniffing
> >> HTTP packets? I tried searching it in the Web but come up short. I
> >> just want to know how to do it, i mean, a successful web download has
> >> a series of 200 OKs. What is the best indication that a page is
> >> successfully downloaded? Thanks.

> > How about a firewall packet counter?

> Does it need a lot of CPU resources? Does is slow down the
> throughput?

> Thanks for your reply,
> -AJ

Actually we're just doing a prototype, so far we're checking how many
packets for one http transaction, and the http headers that comes
along with it. We don't think that it needs a lot of CPU resources
though we're expecting many requests with different request for the
same web page/file which makes a packet counter kind of difficult to
implement. Hmm, is there an open source system which is similar to
Cisco's NetFlow?

Usage based billing

Post by D. Stuss » Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:26:32

> > > How about a firewall packet counter?

> > Does it need a lot of CPU resources? Does is slow down the
> > throughput?

> > Thanks for your reply,
> > -AJ

> Actually we're just doing a prototype, so far we're checking how many
> packets for one http transaction, and the http headers that comes
> along with it. We don't think that it needs a lot of CPU resources
> though we're expecting many requests with different request for the
> same web page/file which makes a packet counter kind of difficult to
> implement. Hmm, is there an open source system which is similar to
> Cisco's NetFlow?

Is there a reason why your iptables rules can't be used?

How many times do I have to hit your head with a hammer?

Usage based billing

Post by Sonn » Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:02:43

> > > Does it need a lot of CPU resources? Does is slow down the
> > > throughput?

> > > Thanks for your reply,
> > > -AJ

> > Actually we're just doing a prototype, so far we're checking how many
> > packets for one http transaction, and the http headers that comes
> > along with it. We don't think that it needs a lot of CPU resources
> > though we're expecting many requests with different request for the
> > same web page/file which makes a packet counter kind of difficult to
> > implement. Hmm, is there an open source system which is similar to
> > Cisco's NetFlow?

> Is there a reason why your iptables rules can't be used?

> How many times do I have to hit your head with a hammer?

Actually, we can use the iptables, but it will be very dirty. We can
set the iptables rule per IP of the user to get the count. But as we
tested the setup, unlike a typical DHCP wherein most of the time, you
will get the same ip, the ip gets changed every time the end device is
turned off. Also, if the client is downloading more than one file at a
time, then it will be harder to monitor.

If we configured the firewall to monitor for example, per ip  -and-
per destination host to solve the more-than-one-file scenario then we
will have thousands lines chain in the iptables and that would be very
inefficient I suppose. I forgot to mention, we would be looking at a
potential CIDR /20 number of clients. And unfortunately all clients
will be pointing to this gateway. We can't afford another machine to
serve the clients.

But, I could ask what kind of iptables rule will be most efficient
with this setup?

Regards,

1. Searching: Info on service usage accounting and billing

Dear Readers,

I am searching for information on service usage accounting
and billing products and standards (from IETF, TMF, ITU-T, etc.)
for our research and development purposes.

What we are specifically interested in:

*  Accounting and billing for Internet services such
   as VoIP, video conferencing, VPN, web and domain hosting, etc.

*  Information and standards on service usage data record

*  Tariff schemes and tariff management

*  Standards (produced by IETF, TMF, ITU-T, etc.) on service
   usage accounting and billing.

*  Information on service usage accounting and billing
   system (both commercial solutions and research prototypes).

*  Information on systems that are based on an ORB (which version
   and implementation of ORB is used?)

*  If we wish to integrate our prototype system into a commercial
   product, what sort of programmable interfaces do the available
   systems provide?

I would like to give some background information.
We are developing a prototype of service usage accounting
system for IP-based and telecom networks and we want to enhance the
functionality of the prototype to include billing functionality.
We want to do this with a view to integrate many vendors into our
prototype accounting system. The main purpose of doing this is to
develop
a prototype of an integrated accounting and billing system that
can deal with diverse accounting and billing needs. We would
also like to add value to the services provided by our prototype.
Our prototype provides IDL interfaces for the
purpose of integrating other vendors' billing systems.
The prototype is being developed using Visibroker, Java and C++
and we also include in our implementation
certain concepts of TINA (Telecommunication Information
Networking Architecture).

I shall be very grateful if you could provide me with
information on above mentioned points. If fact, any
information, hints or suggestions will be very useful.
Please send your answers directly at my email

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Bharat Bhushan

2. Cable modem via USB

3. Bill G. Sings the Nerdy Blues (and Bill C. Plays a Sour Sax)

4. Bridged firewall...

5. BILL & bill

6. microci(o)de patch

7. Was there an apache module to limit based on usage?

8. help with samba setup

9. checking the system usage and making if/then decision based on that (csh)

10. Quota-like limit on cpu-usage/memory-usage...

11. System info (cpu usage, memory usage, etc) using SNMP?

12. How can I get CPU usage & mem usage in my program?

13. How to find out the cpu usage, real & virtual memory usage ?