SIOCADDRT and Unreachable Network

Post by Jonatha » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I've just spent a while looking for answers for this on Dejanews, but so
far I'm still clueless, so apologies in advance...

I've just brought back a machine (RH 5.0, x86) that we lent to somebody
else. They had it on their network for the past few days no problem. Now I
can't get I back on ours.

On boot, I see:

SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

just after the SMC-ultra card stuff comes up.

So, I type route -rn and see that the gateway for eth0 is given as 0.0.0.0,
so I ping my gateway address. No joy. It won't ping, and neither will any
other address. "Network unreachable."

I can see no problems with /etc/sysconfig/network - it's got all the values
it used to have before. I've even run up X and tried setting is all up from
the network control panel.

Any ideas?

JJ

My views are not necessarily that of my employer's.

SIOCADDRT and Unreachable Network

Post by Robert L. Ingli » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Jonathan, I see the same line on my boot-up with my NE2000 card but my
network works fine.  I was pondering what it meant but since the system
works I figured it was because on installation I left the default gateway
blank.  I left it blank because  I use dynamic IP with my ISP and any entry
here would interfer with that connection.

If you or anyone else can tell me just what it means please do.

TIA
Rob

Quote:> On boot, I see:

> SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

> just after the SMC-ultra card stuff comes up.

SIOCADDRT and Unreachable Network

Post by Jonatha » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> If you or anyone else can tell me just what it means please do.

> TIA
> Rob

 ...I wish I could!

Post by M. Buchenried » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>> If you or anyone else can tell me just what it means please do.

>> TIA
>> Rob
> ...I wish I could!

See /usr/include/linux/sockios.h . It means that the options
used to add an entry into the kernel's routing table are invalid.
Most probably, you did use an invalid value somewhere during the
configuration of your networking stuff.

Michael
--

       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum

SIOCADDRT and Unreachable Network

Post by Steven Sulliva » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am having the same problem.? I am new to Linux and have been away from Unix
for a couple of years.? I am setting up a new server and I am having problems
getting the routing right.? I am co-locating a server with an ISP and can't
seem to get a route to their router in place.? They gave me a subnet of
206.20.203.x with a netmask of 248 and their router is at 207.113.62.x.? I'm
stumped as to how to get a route to their router.? I cannot ping anything in
the local network either.? The netstat -rn shows the subnet pointing to a
gateway of 0.0.0.0.? I know that is something easy can some one point me in the
right direction?

TIA

Steve Sullivan

?

> > On boot, I see:

> > SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

> > just after the SMC-ultra card stuff comes up.

?

SIOCADDRT and Unreachable Network

Post by M. Buchenried » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I am having the same problem.? I am new to Linux and have been away from Unix
>for a couple of years.? I am setting up a new server and I am having problems
>getting the routing right.? I am co-locating a server with an ISP and can't
>seem to get a route to their router in place.? They gave me a subnet of
>206.20.203.x with a netmask of 248 and their router is at 207.113.62.x.? I'm
>stumped as to how to get a route to their router.? I cannot ping anything in
>the local network either.? The netstat -rn shows the subnet pointing to a
>gateway of 0.0.0.0.? I know that is something easy can some one point me in the
>right direction?

Please show us the output of "route -n" , "netstat -i" and perhaps
your /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf file.

Michael
--

       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum

SIOCADDRT and Unreachable Network

Post by Jonatha » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Whaaat?

After approximatley 24 hours of total head-f**k, I decided to re-enter all
the IP details in case I'd made a mistake originally. In the course of
this, found the numbers "255.255.240.0" scribbled on the margin of the
paper I was reading the settings from.

That number kinda rang a bell, so I put it in as the netmask. NOW I CAN
PING THE NETWORK! I thought netmasks could only use 255 or 0?  Oh well.

If anyone can explain why this has cured the problem, I'd be grateful,
although I probably won't understand...

JJ

My views are not necessarily that of my employer's.

Quote:> I've just spent a while looking for answers for this on Dejanews, but so
> far I'm still clueless, so apologies in advance...

> I've just brought back a machine (RH 5.0, x86) that we lent to somebody
> else. They had it on their network for the past few days no problem. Now
> can't get I back on ours.

> On boot, I see:

> SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

> just after the SMC-ultra card stuff comes up.

> So, I type route -rn and see that the gateway for eth0 is given as
0.0.0.0,
> so I ping my gateway address. No joy. It won't ping, and neither will any
> other address. "Network unreachable."

> I can see no problems with /etc/sysconfig/network - it's got all the
values
> it used to have before. I've even run up X and tried setting is all up
from
> the network control panel.

> Any ideas?

> JJ

> --

> My views are not necessarily that of my employer's.

1. SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

Can anyone tell me why I get this error message on startup when I didn't get
it yesterday? The SMC card is found ok and the memory and interupt correctly
reported but nonetheless Network unreachable. Any clues much appreciated.

--
Johannes Ambrose
Computer Systems Officer

2. Seeking Linux ANSI C++ compiler

3. diskless firewall machine

4. SIOCADDRT: Network Unreachable

5. How to force AIX not to swap out a certain process??

6. SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable?

7. HELP: HD Multi-Mode

8. SIOCADDRT network unreachable!

9. SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable ????

10. Slackware install successfull, but get SIOCADDRT Network Unreachable error

11. "SIOCADDRT: Network unreachable" error from rc.inet1

12. SIOCADDRT: Network unreachable error