Card ok - but no connection

Post by Hagen Fuhrman » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I need some help for setting up my network card in Linux. I am running SuSe
Linux 6. My FNC-0108TX card from Level-One is supported by the operating
system, and I do net get any error message. But I am not able to communicate
with any other computer.

The hardware is ok, because the card works fine under Windows 98. I did not
have any problems using my old NE2000 compatible card under both Linux and
Windows.

What can I look for to find the reason?

Thanks Hagen.

1. DIP OK, Connection via SLIP OK, but cannot PING

Let me preface with:

I have read the HOW-TO's,
I have read the TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION for Network Setup,
I have read Linus Installation and Getting Started by Matt Walsh (A great beginners guide)
I have read Running Linux from O'Reilly & Associates
I can do it all in Windows and DOS
I haven't slept in 2 days

I really and truly have tried to solve my Linux problem without anyones help, but I am
now at wits end. PLEASE HELP

Here is what works:
-------------------
My DIP script into my local service provider returns an IP address
ifconfig shows everything OK
netstat -rn shows my gateway address as proper
modem speed set properly
Everything looks and feels OK
The modem lights flash when I send (and am being sent) email

Here is what doesn't work:
--------------------------
PING into my service provider looks as though it is going out but has 100% errors
It just doesn't seem to what to communicate correctly.

I am at a loss? Anyone experience this problem ?

2. Questions: tape dive & hard drive

3. "nu bee:-)" ok ok ok

4. Need root passwd on tektronics 4132 workstation

5. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

6. DEC Unix Shared libs on LINUX?

7. SLIP connection looks OK, but no action

8. Help with Linux on imac

9. ppp connection OK, but can't access web or ssh

10. PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't Work

11. telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused, ok second or third try.

12. PPP connection ok but then.....

13. ppp connection OK but no traffic at all