NFS and Portmap

Post by Lance Wilso » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I am getting this error from my RedHat Linux 6.0 System.

mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

How can I fix this?  What is happening here?

The NFS server that it is trying to mount from is working and already
exporting its filesystems to two other computers, so I know the problem has
to be on my system.  "Exports" on server and "FSTAB" is correct, as far as I
can tell.

Lance Wilson.

NFS and Portmap

Post by Lance Wilso » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Oh by the way here is a list of my running processes... at least the first
ones in the list:

  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
    1 ?        S      0:04 init [3]
    2 ?        SW     0:00 [kflushd]
    3 ?        SW     0:00 [kpiod]
    4 ?        SW     0:00 [kswapd]
    5 ?        SW<    0:00 [mdrecoveryd]
  246 ?        S      0:00 portmap
  296 ?        S      0:00 syslogd -m 0
  307 ?        S      0:00 klogd
  321 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/atd
  335 ?        S      0:00 crond
  349 ?        S      0:00 inetd
  366 ?        S      0:00 rpc.statd
  377 ?        S      0:00 rpc.rquotad
  388 ?        S      0:00 rpc.mountd
  403 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  404 ?        SW     0:00 [lockd]
  405 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  406 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  407 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  408 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  409 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  410 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  411 ?        SW     0:00 [nfsd]
  412 ?        SW     0:00 [rpciod]
  447 ?        S      0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25
  462 ?        S      0:00 gpm -t ps/2
  477 ?        S      0:00 xfs
  494 tty1     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty1
  495 tty2     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty2
  496 tty3     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty3
  497 tty4     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty4
  498 tty5     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty5
  499 tty6     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6
  501 ?        S      0:00 update (bdflush)
 .... etc.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Lance Wilson.

--------

> I am getting this error from my RedHat Linux 6.0 System.

> mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

> How can I fix this?  What is happening here?

> The NFS server that it is trying to mount from is working and already
> exporting its filesystems to two other computers, so I know the problem
has
> to be on my system.  "Exports" on server and "FSTAB" is correct, as far as
> can tell.

> Lance Wilson.

NFS and Portmap

Post by Pim Sne » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I am getting this error from my RedHat Linux 6.0 System.

> mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

> How can I fix this?  What is happening here?

> The NFS server that it is trying to mount from is working and already
> exporting its filesystems to two other computers, so I know the problem has
> to be on my system.  "Exports" on server and "FSTAB" is correct, as far as I
> can tell.

> Lance Wilson.

Getting the same error on my local machine, so I'm anxiously looking forward
for the relieving answer.

Pim Snel

NFS and Portmap

Post by rhs.. » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

In case you have not resolved this yet - to run
the nfsd daemon you also need to be running
portmap - nfsd is not finding it when it starts
up.

So - in /etc/rc.d/init.d do the following...

portmap start
nfs start

Starting nfs without portmap running causes
errors with some components of nfs.

(Learned this by shutting down portmap not
knowing this..) - hope this helps you.

Robin

> > I am getting this error from my RedHat Linux
6.0 System.

> > mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable
to receive

> > How can I fix this?  What is happening here?

> > The NFS server that it is trying to mount

from is working and already
Quote:> > exporting its filesystems to two other

computers, so I know the problem has
Quote:> > to be on my system.  "Exports" on server

and "FSTAB" is correct, as far as I
Quote:> > can tell.

> > Lance Wilson.

> Getting the same error on my local machine, so

I'm anxiously looking forward

Quote:> for the relieving answer.

> Pim Snel

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by r.. » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

In case you have not resolved this yet - to run the nfsd daemon you
also need to be running portmap - nfsd is not finding it when it
starts up.

So - in /etc/rc.d/init.d do the following...

portmap start
nfs start

Starting nfs without portmap running causes errors with some
components of nfs.

(Learned this by shutting down portmap not knowing this..) - hope this
helps you.

Robin

>> I am getting this error from my RedHat Linux 6.0 System.

>> mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

>> How can I fix this?  What is happening here?

>> The NFS server that it is trying to mount from is working and already
>> exporting its filesystems to two other computers, so I know the problem has
>> to be on my system.  "Exports" on server and "FSTAB" is correct, as far as I
>> can tell.

>> Lance Wilson.

>Getting the same error on my local machine, so I'm anxiously looking forward
>for the relieving answer.

>Pim Snel

NFS and Portmap

Post by Jayasutha » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi.. checkout ur system by typing..

rpcinfo -p hostname

if this give list out ur rpc ports then it should be ok...
next test:

showmount -e hostname

will give u list of drive enable mount thought nfs.
but ur error seems like having rpc problem.. check this

ps ax | grep port

check for rpc.portmap something something..

> In case you have not resolved this yet - to run the nfsd daemon you
> also need to be running portmap - nfsd is not finding it when it starts
> up.

> So - in /etc/rc.d/init.d do the following...

> portmap start
> nfs start

> Starting nfs without portmap running causes errors with some components
> of nfs.

> (Learned this by shutting down portmap not knowing this..) - hope this
> helps you.

> Robin

> > > I am getting this error from my RedHat Linux 6.0 System.

> > > mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

> > > How can I fix this?  What is happening here?

> > > The NFS server that it is trying to mount from is working and
> already
> > > exporting its filesystems to two other computers, so I know the
> problem has
> > > to be on my system.  "Exports" on server and "FSTAB" is correct, as
> far as I
> > > can tell.

> > > Lance Wilson.

> > Getting the same error on my local machine, so I'm anxiously looking
> forward
> > for the relieving answer.

> > Pim Snel

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. rpc.portmap (p10, p11, and p12) AND portmap (p4)

        I've read the faq's, and hacked a lot but STILL ---

        rpc.portmap core dumps at the first sign of a request (even rpcinfo)

        This has been going on since I had a pl4 kernel, & is still happening under pl12
with net2, so I think it must be down to my setup!

        I have a DLINK ethernet - sometimes connected to a DOS box running PCNFS, or PCTCP
depending. I also use a SLIP link to demon. Everything seems to work apart from the rpc's

        Anybody who's made the rpc mechanism work - what have I missed ???

2. Screwed up fonts on Netscape! Missed something?

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. calling user code from module

5. need help w/ 2 NICs and - ping, portmap, NFS, ...

6. redhat 5.0 questions

7. NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered

8. Can't cut and paste with MicroSpeed PC-TRAC

9. NFS / portmap problems

10. yp + portmap + nfs on 2.2.10ac12

11. NFS portmap RPC problem

12. Of iptables, NFS, portmapping and firewalls

13. NFS mount error: portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out