mail client/server with MS Exchange

Post by D » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

We run an MS Exchange Server for our mail deliveries here, which is fine
as long as you do everything in Windows. However, since for my work I
use Linux (and I do manage my own box, i.e.. as root) almost all of the
time, I was wondering if there are any Exchange-compatible mail client
or even server on the Linux platform? BTW our Exchange Server DOES NOT
support pop (and possibly IMAP as well), but uses what is known as RPC
(remote procedure call?).

Thanks very much in advance!!

Regards,

Louis.

mail client/server with MS Exchange

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Exchange can be configured to run a POP3 service so that's your queue. Last
time I checked they also provided imap but I haven't tried that out. Your
exchange server should also be configured to use SMTP so that you can use
that service to deliver email. Standardly it uses X.400 and there are some
clients for that for Unix but how cares about X.400. SMTP is the standard
and a pretty good standard.

Raymond