Need Help Installing driver for Ethernet Card

Need Help Installing driver for Ethernet Card

Post by Phil » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Could someone break down these instructions for installing the driver for
my ethernet card into dummy terms for me ?? including let me know what i
need to substitute in based on my computer !? thanks !!

System Specs:
Compaq Presario 8712
200 Mhz
88 RAM
Caldera OpenLinux 2.3
Sohoware Fast Ethernet Card

(Pasted from readme.txt)

    Linux has a facility for linking device drivers into
the running kernel. This is called Modules support.

    Here's how to make and load the Modules version:

1. Verify that the source code for your current kernel
   version is installed.
   If you don't have a /usr/include/linux/version.h file,
do cd /usr/src/linux; make include/linux/version.h
Copy the driver source code, tulip.c, to a source directory.

2. Compile the file using one of the compile-commands below:

 *  compile-command:
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall -Wstrict-
prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] &&
echo -DMODVERSIONS`

 *  SMP-compile-command (for machines with multi processors):
gcc -D__SMP__ -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall -
Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
&& echo -DMODVERSIONS`

3. Copy tulip.o into the latest kernel's modules:

   cp tulip.o /lib/modules/2.0.XX/net/tulip.o

4. Update kernel's module dependencies:

   /sbin/depmod -a

Need Help Installing driver for Ethernet Card

Post by Malwar » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Phil,

> Could someone break down these instructions for installing the driver for
> my ethernet card into dummy terms for me ?? including let me know what i
> need to substitute in based on my computer !? thanks !!

> System Specs:
> Compaq Presario 8712
> 200 Mhz
> 88 RAM
> Caldera OpenLinux 2.3
> Sohoware Fast Ethernet Card

Using a recent Linux distribution you will not need to compile the
driver module yourself as per the instruction you did append. All you'll
need to do is to configure the network card with the utilities delivered
with your Linux system. For OpenLinux the configuration utility should
be called "coas" and you should have seen it before (while installing).

Malware

Need Help Installing driver for Ethernet Card

Post by patrick.them.. » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Could someone break down these instructions for installing the driver
for
> my ethernet card into dummy terms for me ?? including let me know what
> need to substitute in based on my computer !? thanks !!

> System Specs:
> Compaq Presario 8712
> 200 Mhz
> 88 RAM
> Caldera OpenLinux 2.3
> Sohoware Fast Ethernet Card

from the rest of your message i just assume you have a 'tulip' chip
based nic.

heres a sort of general 'howto' -
i'm sure you find a more detailed one when reading 'kernel-howto'

goto /usr/src/linux
(i assume that the path is the same , otherwise check where your
linux-sources are)
(i also assume you have an xterm in a Xwindow running- makes the next
step easier)
use the command 'make xconfig'
you get a window with all the possible configurations -
processor type, networking, file systems etc....
tulip is one driver included with more recent kernels. ( all 2.2.1x at
least, if not all 2.2.x already)
most are selfexplanatory, and theres help available.
after saving and exiting,
do a 'make dep && make clean && make bzImage'
'make modules && make install'

dont worry too much if you dont get it all in one shot -
this is getting easier and the kernel better as you do it again and
again.
just make sure your last good working kernel is backuped and available
( i always have at least one "linuxold" entry in my lilo.conf-file )

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Help, I need and Ethernet card driver.

I was install a Linux in a 486 DX/2-66 EISA with a Ethernet card model
"RACAL - Interlan ES3210", but the system can't detect this card.

Any body know if I can install Linux with this LAN card or where can I
find the driver for it.

Thanks in advance

/************************************************/
/*      Alfredo Marcano                         */
/*      UCV - Facultad de Ciencias              */
/*      Grupo de Sistemas Complejos e I.A.      */

/************************************************/

2. pre-empt and smp in 2.5.37 - is it supposed to work?

3. Help installing ethernet card drivers in Linux

4. swxcr raid controller

5. I need SiS Video Driver + D-Link Ethernet Card Driver

6. Running console with more lines

7. HELP - PCMCIA driver needed for Ethernet card

8. Wildly different bogomips readings

9. Newbee needing help installing ethernet driver

10. Q: Ethernet Device Driver: install/config help needed...

11. Trouble installing Ethernet card...need help!!!!

12. Need help installing 3c509B Ethernet Card on Redhat 4.0

13. Need help installing driver for 3Com 3c590B card