Linux 2.2.3 and Ultrix 4.3: incompatible NFS?

Linux 2.2.3 and Ultrix 4.3: incompatible NFS?

Post by Georg Schwa » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've just upgraded a PC with RedHat Linux 5.2 installed from kernel 2.0.36
to 2.2.3. I've noticed the following problem:

when I access (by loging in as a user) /home, which is actually a symbolic
link to /net/itp4/home, with /net being the amd automount directory and
itp4 being an Ultrix 4.3 box serving as NFS server for /home, I get

NFS: server itp4, readdir reply truncated
NFS: nr=43, slot=-1, len=0

and then the login shell (tcsh) hangs.
syslog says the same.

Now, when I stop the login script with ^c, I get into the linux machine.
When I then type "pwd"
I get the following console message on the Ultrix NFS server:

xdr_bytes: bad size FAILED
svcheckudp_send: xdr_replymsg failed
rfs_dispatch: sendreplay failed

which keeps repeating all over.
In the meantime, the linux shell hangs indefinitely.
Syslog says:
nfs: itp4 server not responding

manually mounting /home from the server works fine (as root).

When I change (as root) into /var/spool/mail, which is also amd mounted
from that same Ultrix server, I also get that "truncated" message when
that directory is mounted. Subsequently doing an ls only gives me the
first douzend or so mailboxes, with the other files being seemingly
nonexistant (they are still present on the server, but I don't know what
would happen if one tried an NFS write to that directory).

I have taken the amd src rpm and rebuilt it after upgrading to 2.2.3,
but this only made go away that "kernel is newer than nfs" (or similar)
warning message. It's am-utils-6.0a16-4.
Is this a known problem? Is my configuration at fault? Is it the
kernel's fault or amd's?
--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
Technische Universit?t Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Linux 2.2.3 and Ultrix 4.3: incompatible NFS?

Post by Fernand » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello

I've got an Ultrix 4.2A (rev47) at work and I want to know if it's Y2K compliant.
Can somebody help me ???

Thanks

Post by Georg Schwa » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I've just upgraded a PC with RedHat Linux 5.2 installed from kernel 2.0.36
>to 2.2.3. I've noticed the following problem:

I now found out that the problems go away when I explicitely set
rsize=8192,wsize=8192 in /etc/amd.conf. Judging from this month's messages
in the am-utils developers' mailing list I assume it's an NFS related bug
in Linux 2.2.X.

--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
Technische Universit?t Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

1. NFS Mounting Ultrix 4.3 disks on Solaris 2.3

Hi,
  This has got to be simple, but I'm not seeing it after a long day...

We have a Decstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.3.  Other systems can nfs
mount it's disks, but the Solaris 2.3 system doesn't seem to be able
to.  When I try I get

# mount abc:/def /mnt
nfs mount: abc: NFS Service not responding
nfs mount: retrying: /mnt

What am I missing :-)?

Thanks!

bruce

--

icons were intended to make software friendly, and easy to use.  Now Microsoft
applications have Tool Tips - Text labels that appear when you move the mouse

2. LILO with Maxtor MAXBLAST software

3. term between linux-pl13 and Ultrix 4.3

4. #9GXE64Pro. Chipset?

5. libc 4.3 and libm 4.0 incompatible?

6. ieee1394.c on - compilation errors

7. Usefull info in coredumps under Ultrix 4.3

8. Hot Swapping

9. Ultrix 4.3 Bourne/Korn

10. PPP, flowcontrol and Ultrix 4.3

11. Ultrix 4.3 kernel size

12. Timezone problems under Ultrix 4.3

13. Compiling APache 1.2b10 on DEC Ultrix 4.3 ???????