SLIP Connection to University SLIP Server: Need Help

SLIP Connection to University SLIP Server: Need Help

Post by Gregg Casil » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Let's start by assuming I'm a slightly knowledgeable Linux user and an
absolute novice when it comes to networking (especially with Linux). I want to
connect to my university's SLIP server using Linux and DIP. I've read over the
DIP Networking Guide and was able to get my modem to dial to the SLIP server,
but that was about it. Pinging was fruitless and I'm plain stuck.

What do I need to know? My hostname/domainname, SLIP server's names and IP
addresses? What files do I need to modify on my Linux box? And so on. In other
words, I'm asking someone to hold my hand through all this from the beginning
setup to the final product. I have Netscape 3.0b and I'd mainly like to ftp,
telnet, use elm for mailreading, and perhaps some nn newsreading use.

Once I have a good connection, I can make my way through these tools. If
there's anyone sharp with the use of DIP to connect to a SLIP server, I'd
certainly appreciate their help via email or in this newsgroup.

Many thanks,
Gregg Casillo

Post by Uri Blumentha » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I want to connect to my university's SLIP server using Linux and DIP.

So far so good.

Quote:> I've read over the DIP Networking Guide.............

To the best of my knowledge, there <bold>is no DIP Networking
Guide</bold>...

However, DIP source package contains countless README files
and script examples, which just might save your day.

Quote:> What do I need to know? My hostname/domainname, SLIP server's names
> and IP addresses? What files do I need to modify on my Linux box?

Hmm... Yes, all of the above, plus IP addresses for those names.
Plus your host should have its name assigned (and stored in
/etc/hosts file). Plus it's wise to verify /etc/host.conf.
Plus /etc/resolv.conf must be edited (your DNS stuff).
Note, that it's not DIP per se, that requires these,
it's TCP/IP configuration, without which you can't
hope to run a TCP/IP connection (a-la SLIP).

Also, an exact version of DIP, Linux kernel (and you did
not forget to configure your kernel with SLIP and CSLIP
support, right?) and your screen log (possibly also
the relevant parts from the syslog, like /var/log/debug
or such) might help to pinpoint the problem you're
having.
--
Regards,
Uri.

<Disclaimer>
I'm not sure which upsets me more:  that people are so unwilling
to accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are
so eager to regulate everyone else's.

1. SLIP and DIP only reaches slip server, help!

I can ping my local linux loopback, I can ping the slip server.  But I can't
access anything else.  I have entries for other machines, nameservers, etc. in
/etc/hosts, but they are unreachable.

Does this behavior have anything to do with /etc/diphosts?  I'm using
dip337b-uri.

Thanks,
Brandon

--
*--------------------------------------------------------*
|  LaUNChpad is a free internet service provided by but  |

2. Exec: Cannot execute binary file

3. SLIP server (linux) SLIP client (winsock) help please

4. ARP - Bomber

5. Ethernet LAN and dialup SLIP/UNIVERSITY Help??

6. Thanks

7. Help needed with slip connection

8. XFree86 keyboard woes

9. Need help opening X on SLIP connection

10. Help needed for setting up SLIP connection.

11. slip-dip connection need help

12. need help using dip for SLIP connection

13. Need Slip Help --- no connections