Ethernet Card Timeouts at Boot

Post by Donald Beck » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 09:08:29

>My Computer:

>    HP Vectra 486s/20 PC
>    HP Ultra VGA
>    Some HP Ethernet Card...(?)

>The problem is, I have to remove the Ethernet Card to get the machine
>to boot. The error looks like this:

>    <NULL>: retry #xxx on send PCB
>    timeout at 3c505.c(268)

OOoohh, bad... the 3c505 driver must have mistakenly decided that it found a
card.  I didn't write the 3c505 driver, so It's Not My Fault.

Scan the boot-time messages to see what's going on.
Perhap you should try moving the card's base I/O address or compiling a
kernel without 3c505 support.

Quote:>I really don't know much about the Ethernet card, I got the machine
>for free...didn't get that kind of info on it. HP Ethertwist...it says
>on one chip. Part # is 0993  27247-80003  Rev: A

It's a 27247A -- should be supported.

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

1. Ethernet Card Timeouts during Boot

OK. Here's the situation:

My Computer:

        HP Vectra 486s/20 PC
        HP Ultra VGA
        Some HP Ethernet Card...(?)

The problem is, I have to remove the Ethernet Card to get the machine
to boot. The error looks like this:

        <NULL>: retry #xxx on send PCB
        timeout at 3c505.c(268)
        timeout at 3c505.c(268)
        timeout at 3c505.c(268)
        timeout at 3c505.c(268)
        timeout at 3c505.c(268)
        .
        .
        (tries again, and again, and again...)

I really don't know much about the Ethernet card, I got the machine
for free...didn't get that kind of info on it. HP Ethertwist...it says
on one chip. Part # is 0993  27247-80003  Rev: A

It boots when the card isn't in, so it obviously can *find* it...

Thanks a whole heaping bunch.

-=- James -=-

2. Redhat should be called YellowHat.

3. Ethernet Card Timeouts at Boot

4. Looking for sccs under FreeBSD

5. Ethernet card timeout set and check

6. umask/ftp problem

7. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

8. GUI on Linux vs WIndows. was (re: Why exactly is linux better than Windows?)

9. 3COM ethernet card and NE2000 ethernet card

10. PCMCIA Ethernet Card Driver Problem - SMC EZ Card 10/100 PC Card

11. Not probing for ethernet card on boot?

12. Help - Can't detect ethernet card at boot

13. 2 Ethernet cards, system won't boot