redhat 7.2 iptables logging not working

Post by rcurti » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:53:53

I cannot get iptables logging to work with redhat 7.2.  I have iptables
working on another box with version 7.1 after searching and figuring out
that I needed to add "kern.*" to the /var/log/messages line of my
/etc/syslog.conf file.  But same trick does not seem to work with 7.2.  I
have verified that the ipt_LOG module is loaded.  klogd is loaded with
syslog and running.  Any ideas?

--

redhat 7.2 iptables logging not working

Post by rcurti » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 07:53:24

ok, with no response, I finally figured it out.  turns out that my logging
entry in iptables firewall read --log-level info and new version of iptables
1.2.3-1 chokes on this.   Gives error message that "info" is ambiguous.
Don't know why since man for syslog.conf still refers to it.  But anyway, if
you use the numeric expression for "info" which is loglevel 6 it works and
starts logging.  So I changed from --log-level info to --log-level 6.

Post by Hal Burgi » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 07:48:03

> ok, with no response, I finally figured it out.  turns out that my logging
> entry in iptables firewall read --log-level info and new version of iptables
> 1.2.3-1 chokes on this.   Gives error message that "info" is ambiguous.
> Don't know why since man for syslog.conf still refers to it.  But anyway, if
> you use the numeric expression for "info" which is loglevel 6 it works and
> starts logging.  So I changed from --log-level info to --log-level 6.

Yes, a bug in 1.2.3 that is fixed in 1.2.4.

--
Hal Burgiss