Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

Post by someone » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:22:16

Hi,

say 8.0mhz with 640K ram). I have a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not
keyboard and monitor) and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial
terminal to the server.

  I could only install a SSH client for DOS (I don't want to install
telnet on the server) on the amtrad, but I would like to see
everything shown on screen while linux is loading (except BIOS
messages of course). I was thinking of installing a DUMP terminal on
the AMSTRAD. I made some research on the web but didn't understand if
I'll be able to use the AMSTRAD's keyboard over the serial line (if
I'm not using ssh and only a dump terminal). I was thinking of
installing DOS on the AMSTRAD since it's floppy based and only support
720K floppies, so everything has to fit on it. And DOS is a lot faster
to load than unix

  How do I configure my FreeBSD server to output everything to COM1

  Which DOS program should I use on the AMSTRAD? I saw some info on
  JCOM,telix,kermit.

  Do you think I should use unix/Linux instead of DOS.
  if yes, would it fit on a 720K floppy with the DUMP terminal?

  Any software suggestions and configurations tips are welcome. I
would also
  appreciate any good links

Thanks in advance

Post by ynotsso » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:49:23

> say 8.0mhz with 640K ram). I have a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not
> keyboard and monitor) and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial
> terminal to the server.
[...]
>   How do I configure my FreeBSD server to output everything to COM1

Linux is not FreeBSD. You should post your query in a FreeBSD newsgroup.

--
use hotmail for email replies

Post by Dariusz Kuliński / TaKeD » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:10:52

> Hi,

> say 8.0mhz with 640K ram). I have a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not
> keyboard and monitor) and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial
> terminal to the server.

>   I could only install a SSH client for DOS (I don't want to install
> telnet on the server) on the amtrad, but I would like to see
> everything shown on screen while linux is loading (except BIOS
> messages of course). I was thinking of installing a DUMP terminal on
> the AMSTRAD. I made some research on the web but didn't understand if
> I'll be able to use the AMSTRAD's keyboard over the serial line (if
> I'm not using ssh and only a dump terminal). I was thinking of
> installing DOS on the AMSTRAD since it's floppy based and only support
> 720K floppies, so everything has to fit on it. And DOS is a lot faster
> to load than unix

>   How do I configure my FreeBSD server to output everything to COM1

>   Which DOS program should I use on the AMSTRAD? I saw some info on
>   JCOM,telix,kermit.

>   Do you think I should use unix/Linux instead of DOS.
>   if yes, would it fit on a 720K floppy with the DUMP terminal?

>   Any software suggestions and configurations tips are welcome. I
> would also
>   appreciate any good links

> Thanks in advance

As for FreeBSD (I guess it's offtopic, but I think link would be harmless)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconso...

If you have more questions about FBSD I would recommend you to ask on
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc not here.

--

(remove CAPITAL letters from email if you want to contact me)
*http://eggwiki.takeda.tk - pomoc w u?ywaniu botw po polsku*

Post by Dariusz Kuliński / TaKeD » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:10:53

>> say 8.0mhz with 640K ram). I have a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not
>> keyboard and monitor) and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial
>> terminal to the server.
> [...]
>>   How do I configure my FreeBSD server to output everything to COM1
> Linux is not FreeBSD. You should post your query in a FreeBSD newsgroup.

But if I belive correctly he wanted to run Linux on that Amstrad, but I
doubt it would be possible since he only have 720kb floppy.

--

Post by Floyd L. Davids » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:48:24

>Hi,

>say 8.0mhz with 640K ram). I have a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not
>keyboard and monitor) and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial
>terminal to the server.

Put the AMSTRAD into a dumpster, or use it to hold a door open,
or keep your boat anchored.

You'll spend less money and get better performance by going
around looking for just the right dumpster to put it it...  if
you shop around you'll find one that has perfectly functional
80386 computer in it.  Of course, you can use that to locate a
dumpster with a perfectly functional 80486 computer in it!
If you take that one, go looking again...

And keep looking until you find one that has a Pentium (or AMD
chip) of some kind, but the main thing is that you want to find
one with an ATX case, motherboard and power supply.  Look for
the keyboard connector that is a PS2 style plug rather than the
older AT style.  If you pay someone else to located one of these
things, don't pay more than $10-20 for it unless you get
something like a PII or PIII.

Older monitors are much the same situation.  You can find many
that are older than maybe 1995-6, but you *don't* want to bother
with them.  Find one later than that, with "digital" controls.
If you will settle for a 15 inch monitor, it's about like the
above... ranging from free to $10.  And old 17" isn't going to
be expensive though.

There is *no* point in wasting time or money to refurbish
something older than the above, given the difference is
performance and the lack of a difference in price.

--
FloydL. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

Post by James Knot » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:24:32

Quote:> But if I belive correctly he wanted to run Linux on that Amstrad, but I
> doubt it would be possible since he only have 720kb floppy.

And it only has an 8088, which will definitely not run Linux.  As I recall,
the minimum cpu for Linux, is the 386.

--

(This space intentionally left blank)

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:10:20

Quote:>> But if I belive correctly he wanted to run Linux on that Amstrad,
>> but I doubt it would be possible since he only have 720kb floppy.

> And it only has an 8088, which will definitely not run Linux.  As I
> recall, the minimum cpu for Linux, is the 386.

Yes, the 8088 is an 8-bit processor, economically designed to save expensive
mobo costs over the previous 16-bit 8086 chip.

--
use hotmail for email replies

Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:17:49

Quote:> Yes, the 8088 is an 8-bit processor, economically designed to save
> expensive mobo costs over the previous 16-bit 8086 chip.

Sorry, I meant it had an 8-bit data bus.

--

Post by Jose Maria Lopez Hernande » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 04:37:08

>>But if I belive correctly he wanted to run Linux on that Amstrad, but I
>>doubt it would be possible since he only have 720kb floppy.

> And it only has an 8088, which will definitely not run Linux.  As I recall,
> the minimum cpu for Linux, is the 386.

I think I can remember there was a proyect named ELKS to run Linux in
this kind of machines, but I don't know if it gave any result. The best
thing you can do it's run DOS with a terminal emulator like ckermit
or similar, or if you have drivers and ethernet card you can use some
version of telnet for DOS.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

http://www.bgsec.com
ESPA?A

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                 -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

Post by James Knot » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:48:48

>> Yes, the 8088 is an 8-bit processor, economically designed to save
>> expensive mobo costs over the previous 16-bit 8086 chip.

> Sorry, I meant it had an 8-bit data bus.

Actually, it has an 8 bit external address bus.  Internally, it's 16 bit.

--

Post by James Knot » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:10:29

> Actually, it has an 8 bit external address bus.??Internally,?it's?16?bit.

Typo.  That should be 8 bit external data bus.

--

Post by lobotom » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:42:17

> Hi,

> say 8.0mhz with 640K ram). I have a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not
> keyboard and monitor) and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial
> terminal to the server.

>   I could only install a SSH client for DOS (I don't want to install
> telnet on the server) on the amtrad, but I would like to see everything
> shown on screen while linux is loading (except BIOS messages of course).
> I was thinking of installing a DUMP terminal on the AMSTRAD. I made some
> research on the web but didn't understand if I'll be able to use the
> AMSTRAD's keyboard over the serial line (if I'm not using ssh and only a
> dump terminal). I was thinking of installing DOS on the AMSTRAD since
> it's floppy based and only support 720K floppies, so everything has to
> fit on it. And DOS is a lot faster to load than unix

>   How do I configure my FreeBSD server to output everything to COM1

>   Which DOS program should I use on the AMSTRAD? I saw some info on
>   JCOM,telix,kermit.

DOS is really the only operating system you need.  Linux or other regular
Unixes won't work; they need 32-bit processors with memory-management
units.  Minix might run on that thing, and it would also work, but it is
probably overkill if you just want to use the computer as a terminal.

What you want to do can't really be done with ssh or telnet, even if you
could set up a ppp connection on the serial line and get DOS client
software that would run on that computer, because your server would have
to have loaded the kernel and mounted the filesystem before network
services would be available, by which time you would have already missed
the kernel startup messages.  You can setup BSD to run over the serial
console; you should be able to find good documentation on their website,
and this being a Linux newsgroup I will say nothing about that.

Then if you just run a terminal emulator on the DOS machine (literally
almost anything you find on google will work), and set the port and
terminal settings to match what you set on the server (keep in mind the
speed limitations of whatever UART the 8088), you should be set.

Don't mind the "helpful" message urging you to junk that machine; it is
vastly more powerful than a real dumb terminal, and should be perfectly
adequate for your purposes.

--
Not to have been a dupe, that will have been my best possesion, my best
deed, to have been a dupe, wishing I wasn't, thinking I wasn't, knowing

Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

Post by Alexander Cloute » Mon, 06 Sep 2004 03:52:34

Quote:

> You'll spend less money and get better performance by going
> around looking for just the right dumpster to put it it...  if
> you shop around you'll find one that has perfectly functional
> 80386 computer in it.  Of course, you can use that to locate a
> dumpster with a perfectly functional 80486 computer in it!
> If you take that one, go looking again...

pah, tis nothing, my ex-flatmate raided a skip at Znapurfre Havirefvgl and
pulled out a fulling working 2x666Mhz Itanium with 2GB of RAM....was about a
month or so ago.

Of course he has been suitably sworn at.

Cheers

Alex

Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

Post by LEE Sau Da » Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:58:21

    someone92> Hi, I just got an AMSTRAD PPC640 portable computer

    someone92> a FreeBSD 4.x server (with not keyboard and monitor)
    someone92> and would like to use the AMSTRAD as a serial terminal
    someone92> to the server.

    someone92> I was thinking of installing a DUMP terminal on the
    someone92> AMSTRAD.

It's called "dumb" terminal, not dump terminal.

    someone92> I made some research on the web but didn't understand
    someone92> if I'll be able to use the AMSTRAD's keyboard over the
    someone92> serial line (if I'm not using ssh and only a dump
    someone92> terminal).

Linux has a boot option to forward all boot-stage output to a terminal
line.  Check /usr/src/linux/Documentation/boot-param.txt.

    someone92> I was thinking of installing DOS on the AMSTRAD since
    someone92> it's floppy based and only support 720K floppies, so
    someone92> everything has to fit on it.

You should be thankful that you aren't forced to use 5.25" floppies.

    someone92>  And DOS is a lot faster to load than unix

So,  stay  with  DOS.   It's  quite stable  (esp.   when  compared  to
Windows!).  Only  not very powerful  and not very flexible.   (e.g. no
multiple concurrent processes)

    someone92>   How do I configure my FreeBSD server to output
    someone92> everything to COM1

Ask in the appropriate newgroup.

    someone92>   Which DOS program should I use on the AMSTRAD? I saw
    someone92> some info on JCOM,telix,kermit.

I've only tried  Telix and Kermit.  Since I did BBSing  a lot 12 years
ago, I  liked Telix (and  later switched to Telemate).   I'd recommend
Telix.

    someone92>   Do you think I should use unix/Linux instead of DOS.

Linux needs  at least  80386.  8088 is  not sufficient.  For  that you
could try  Minix, but don't  expect Minix to  offer you much.   If you
don't need to do  things like "ls -s | sort -n  | head -10" locally on
that 8086 machine, then DOS + Telix should be more than sufficient.

    someone92> if yes, would it fit on a 720K floppy with the DUMP
    someone92> terminal?

Please use the correct term.  (Or tell me what a DUMP terminal is.)

1. Using my 8088 as a terminal

Hi,

I know that many of you think that this is a simple question, but I am trying
to set up my old 8088 as a terminal.  When I issue the command
agetty /dev/ttyS0 9600
I do get a login, but after I log in, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance
Seth Hartbecke

2. Terminfo help please

3. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

4. 1.3.68 problem with depmod (unresolved symbols)

5. 8088 as dumb terminal!!!

6. RH 6.0 & SMP

7. 8088 terminals

8. yp-troubles