Adding a new client to IP Chains / masquerading ?

Adding a new client to IP Chains / masquerading ?

Post by Roger Holde » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 06:18:24

Hi

A while ago I set up my linux box as a router and allowed my Mac through the
firewall to connect to the Internet.

I've now got another Mac and want to add it's IP address so I can use the
net - but I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it.

I've searched all my config files but vaguely remember setting it through a
command using IP chains, not by a config file.

can anyone help ?

Adding a new client to IP Chains / masquerading ?

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:17:01

Hi!,

Quote:> A while ago I set up my linux box as a router and allowed my Mac through
> the firewall to connect to the Internet.

> I've now got another Mac and want to add it's IP address so I can use the
> net - but I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it.

> I've searched all my config files but vaguely remember setting it through a
> command using IP chains, not by a config file.

It depends on exactally what you are trying to do, but if your Linux box is
your gateway, then the only reason you will want to change anything is to add
the new IP to the ipchains list.  Take a look at the output of the
/sbin/ipchains -L -n file.  You may also want to take a look at the
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains file (which is where the information is stored).

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. IP-Chains vs. IP-Masquerade

I'm planning on setting up the Linux box to act as a gateway for a private

As I understand it from skimming the HOW-TOs, IP-Chains sets the firewall
rules and can also handle masquerading.
IP-Masquerade is for masquerading only.

If I install IP-Chains, is there any reason (read: functionality /
performance benefit) to install IP-Masquerade?

Thanks!

2. Help: the gzip file

3. IP Masquerade , IP Chains

4. tin v1.5.4 on hp-ux

5. proxy route gateway ip masquerading ip chains ?

6. MS Game Zone w/ Linux 2.2.5/IP Masq/IP Chains

7. IP chain/Masquerading Help Sought

8. ipchains <-> netscape?

9. PPPOE, IP Chains & Masquerading

10. IP Address of IP Masqueraded Client

11. Adding IP-Chains to RH 5.1

12. IP Chains fails under new 2.4.1 Kernel

13. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP