2 lans, connected via PPP link... slow though

2 lans, connected via PPP link... slow though

Post by Scott Pete » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have a lan here in my apartment with 3 machines and one is dedicated linux
machine connect to another lan that is on the internet.  I have 28.8 modems and
get good speed if you are say just running netscape on one machine or just
running ftp, etc... one connection.  But with multiple connections the
perfomance drops throught the floor.  The only thing I can see is that when
more connections are used off of the machines the dynamic channel alocation
isn't getting used on the linux machines, so all of our packets are attempting
to get through one channel...  The only errors I get are dropped packets coming
to the apartment on the apartment end.  Everything runs fine just really slowly
with more than one machine on the apartment lan doing something....  any ideas
I am all out...  Oh also the machines on the apartment lan are proxyarp'ed if
that would possibly also be a problem....

Kernel 2.0.15
PPP 2.2
Basically a slackware 3.1 system with Kernel 2.0.15 both machines server and
dial out are mine...

Thanks,
Scott