ppp drops out with large file transfers

Post by Craig Pard » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a permanent ppp connection which persistently drops out when large
files are sent out over the modem line.  Anything larger than about a Meg
causes ppp to drop out.  Its fine on receiving large files.  I tried
reducing the mtu to 296, but it didn't make a difference.

any ideas as to how I could fix this problem?

cheers,
craig

PS - Don't flame me for posting this here cause I already tried the
comp.protocols.ppp group and nobody knew how to help me.
--
|    /===\/===\                 | "Better get a lawyer, Son"          |
|    |   OO   |=============888 | "Better get a real good one."       |

Post by Wayne Li » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I have a permanent ppp connection which persistently drops out when large
>files are sent out over the modem line.  Anything larger than about a Meg
>causes ppp to drop out.  Its fine on receiving large files.  I tried
>reducing the mtu to 296, but it didn't make a difference.

>any ideas as to how I could fix this problem?

Not sure if my problem is the same.  I have problem only during
large file transfer from a remote site but not a problem
if the transfer is from my isp shell account.  I have spent enough
time investigating to convince myself that there is no problem
with hardware flow control.  During high speed transfer from
remote site, packet segmentation appears to cause frame check
sequence to have error.

This problem shows up quite consistently with my new isp,
sometimes with my previous isp, but never when I call up
my company.  I use Microcom Deskport FAST EP28.8 and my
current isp uses Supra modems.

Regards,
Wayne