X display problem / attack?

Post by Matt » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've had a couple problems with my monitor lately.  The display get garbled
up.  It shifts all over the place, so for example the top edge of the screen
will be on the bottom, left on right etc...  It's only happened 2x.  I'm
wondering if it might be related to one of the handful of shit heads who
probe me everyday.  I noticed one on port 61157, which I believe is related
to X11?   Could this be it or might it be something else?

X display problem / attack?

Post by DanH » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I've had a couple problems with my monitor lately.  The display get garbled
> up.  It shifts all over the place, so for example the top edge of the screen
> will be on the bottom, left on right etc...  It's only happened 2x.  I'm
> wondering if it might be related to one of the handful of shit heads who
> probe me everyday.  I noticed one on port 61157, which I believe is related
> to X11?   Could this be it or might it be something else?

X looks for port 6000 up to however many mgetty's you're running (6008
for instance.)

Look at portsentry if you want them to drop off the face of the earth as
far as your computer is concerned if they probe you.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

1. Help, I need a list of Denial of Service attack by symptom to track an attack

If anyone knows of a site where they have a list of the currently
occuring denial of service attacks with the symptoms of each?  My
network went down for an hour earlier today, and was brought back up
by closing any incoming traffic from the gateway for about 10 minutes.

Sounds like an obvious flood of some sort, but rather than play around
with what was going on, I brought everything up asap, and can find
nothing in logs, all I know is that there was a BUNCH of network
traffic going on and I couldn't reach a one of my half dozen servers,
ranging from NT and SGI to Linux and even win95.

anyway, anyone know of a list or resource to track down WHAT was going
on by symptom, and give me a list of things to check when this happens
next?

Thanks for your help!!!!

-- alex

2. RPSA

3. Tried attack or succesfull attack on mountd?

4. Setting up ethernet -- fast

5. Virtual display problem with notebook display and S3 Aurora 64V+ video card

6. Newcomer - Trouble with LILO

7. display to other display (xon problem)

8. sound capture

9. Display problem : after changing display card

10. sendmail - POSSIBLE ATTACK problem??

11. Attacking a strange problem with sed

12. TCP attack or wrapper problem?