POP3/SMTP Linux Server

Post by Doug Sorbe » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone recomend a decent POP3/SMTP server for redhat 5.1? Preferibly
free and with source + binary but the source will do.

Thanks
Doug Sorber

POP3/SMTP Linux Server

Post by Nick » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

The "Sendmail" package is the obvious choice for SMTP server.  It comes with
RH (and most other distributions) and is normally installed by default,
otherwise install the sendmail*.rpm package (should be on your RH
installation disk).  The default settings are okay for most situations but
if you need to change them it can become very complicated (best to get the
Sendmail book by O'Reilly).

As for POP3 server, I've just installed qpopper from Qualcomm (home page
http://www.eudora.com/freeware/qpop.html) with no problems and am very
happy.  Had previously tried pop3d from sunsite but couldn't get it to
compile ("undefined reference to function crypt"), I think it requires the
shadow password package installed, even if you don't use it, but not sure
(if anyone knows what the problem is, I'd like to know).  Only the source is
available but it's dead easy to compile and install (and free).

cheers,
Nick

>Can anyone recomend a decent POP3/SMTP server for redhat 5.1? Preferibly
>free and with source + binary but the source will do.

>Thanks
>Doug Sorber

POP3/SMTP Linux Server

Post by Stev » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>happy.  Had previously tried pop3d from sunsite but couldn't get it to
>compile ("undefined reference to function crypt"), I think it requires the
>shadow password package installed, even if you don't use it, but not sure
>(if anyone knows what the problem is, I'd like to know).  Only the source is

crypt() is the function that encrypts the passwords to be used in the
/etc/passwd(or shadow) file. My system has it in the default libs, yours
probably has it in it's own seperate library called oddly enough, "crypt"
:).. Try adding -lcrypt to the flags you are giving the compiler.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

--
IRC: Paranorml (Undernet)

Steve Smith
ICQ: 6083016

POP3/SMTP Linux Server

Post by Nick » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

This has sorted it, many thanks for the tip.  I'd seen crypt related
libraries in some of the src paths and added them to the ld.co.conf file and
regenerated the ld.so.cache but it didn't make any difference.

Nick