I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

Post by Mart » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 20:50:10

I'm currently setting up a second computer to run linux on as a
development machine which I want to network with my Win2K machine.
There will only be these two computers on the network with the Linux
machine running Apache, MySQL, PHP etc and I'll be using the Win2K
machine to basic office stuff, access the internet and of course play
games :)

My problem is that I'm not sure how to get the Linux and windows
machines talking together properly. Do I need to setup DHCP? or can I
use a static IP?
I know I need Samba running on the linux machine if I want to access
files from windows.

At the moment I've tried putting in a static IP addresses on machines
and doing this the windows machine can ping itself and the linux
machine fine but when I try to ping the windows machine from the linux
machine it doesn't get a response.

I'd be very grateful for any help or links to sites with info on
setting this up as I haven't had any luck finding anything so far.

cheers,
Martyn

I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 22:28:57

Hi!,

Quote:> I'm currently setting up a second computer to run linux on as a
> development machine which I want to network with my Win2K machine.
> There will only be these two computers on the network with the Linux
> machine running Apache, MySQL, PHP etc and I'll be using the Win2K
> machine to basic office stuff, access the internet and of course play
> games :)

> My problem is that I'm not sure how to get the Linux and windows
> machines talking together properly. Do I need to setup DHCP? or can I
> use a static IP?

For just these two machines I would be using STATIC IP's.  Make sure that they
are on the same network and that you are using a CROSS-OVER cable between the
two systems and not just your standard RJ45 CAT5 cable.

See ya

Dean Thompson

I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

Post by Mart » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 00:06:26

Dean said:

Quote:> For just these two machines I would be using STATIC IP's.  Make sure that they
> are on the same network and that you are using a CROSS-OVER cable between the
> two systems and not just your standard RJ45 CAT5 cable.

I have a hub so I can use standard cable.
How do I set up the windows machine to have a static IP? When I tried
using
the network properties in System it wants a Domain but I don't have
one
setup. I tried putting in a made-up domain (like a linux book
suggested) but it wouldn't accept that.

Martyn

I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

Post by Mart » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 01:48:44

Dean,
I managed to find a thread from this newsgroup on Google
(http://groups.google.com) with the subject "How to make Linux to
Win2000 network work?" from April where you helped a guy with a VERY
similar problem. I'm going to give some of the things you mention in
it a go, hopefully they'll work :-)

cheers,
Martyn

I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

Post by M. Thom » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:58:51

Quote:

> I have a hub so I can use standard cable.
> How do I set up the windows machine to have a static IP? When I tried
> using
> the network properties in System it wants a Domain but I don't have
> one

You're accessing the wrong control.  If you give the machine a domain
name, it's going to try to join that domain.  Of course, it can't do
that.  You want to make your standalone system a member of a workgroup
not a domain.  The control panel or menu that you're opening is
"System Properties", you should be opening "Network and dial-up
connections".

From the desktop, logged in as an administrator, right click "My
network places" and then click on properties.  Right click on the
"Local Area Connection" that you want to configure (there should be
only one, unless you've installed multiple NIC's).  Then select
properties again, this will bring up the real menu for configuring the
network.

You should see your network adapter identified in the top box and
there should be a list of protocols in the second box.  You should be
able to scroll down to "Internet Protocol TCP/IP", select it and then
click the Properties button.
Check the "Use the following IP address" and the rest should be
self-explanatory.  If you don't understand the rest of the tabs, you
should find someone else who understands networking to assist you.

I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:15:18

Hi!,

Quote:>>For just these two machines I would be using STATIC IP's.  Make sure that
>>they are on the same network and that you are using a CROSS-OVER cable
>>between the two systems and not just your standard RJ45 CAT5 cable.

> I have a hub so I can use standard cable.
> How do I set up the windows machine to have a static IP? When I tried
> using the network properties in System it wants a Domain but I don't have
> one setup. I tried putting in a made-up domain (like a linux book
> suggested) but it wouldn't accept that.

I would check the screen that you are in, you should be able to specify IP
addresses for your Windows side of things without having to provide a valid
domain name and host name.

See ya

Dean Thompson

I need help with networking Windows 2000 Pro with Red Hat 7.2

Post by Mart » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 06:33:20

Quote:> I would check the screen that you are in, you should be able to specify IP
> addresses for your Windows side of things without having to provide a valid
> domain name and host name.

Yeah I found out that one and put a static IP in the right place.
The problem was (and I feel really stupid for this) is that I have
Zone alarm personal firewall installed and had forgotten to set it up
to allow the linux box through! doh! now I feel even more stupid!

oh well, now I have the fun of setting up apache, php, mysql etc!

cheers for the help,
Martyn

1. Triple Boot Red Hat, Windows 98, Windows 2000

Install Win98 first, them Win2k. The Win2k bootloader will give you the
choice between Win98 and Win2k. Install Linux after that, with the /boot
hint of the PBen and put LILO in the Linux boot partition. Then first you
can boot Linux with a floppy. After that you can create a small file with a
command I just can't remember (read the howto on WinNT and Linux) which you
can copy to the root of C:, and you add a line to the boot.ini on the
booting drive for Win2k, enabling you to start off Linux as you start the
other two operating systems.

2. C Compiler Error

3. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

4. kgettickd() under AIX?

5. Strange networking issue on red hat 7.2 can anyone help?

6. SLIP: received wrong character

7. Need help with Alcatel USB + Red Hat Linux 7.2

8. zImage won't boot

9. Newbie needs help with NIC and Red Hat 7.2

10. Need help with Alcatel USB + Red Hat Linux 7.2

11. Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Home Networking

12. Networking Linux Redhat 8.0 & Windows 2000 Pro On Dynamic Based Network

13. ATI Radeon 9700 PRO & Red Hat Linux 7.2?