Strange network problem (network suddenly stops working) - partial solution

Strange network problem (network suddenly stops working) - partial solution

Post by asdn » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 06:27:39

Hi guys,

I don't know where to post it, so I am posting here.

I found that 2.4.x kernel has buggy driver for Intel EtherExpress Pro 10
NIC card (maybe some others modules as well - I don't know). These bugs
were introduced by converting a drver's code for 2.2.x kernels into 2.4.x
compliant code.

The eepro module has two bugs.

The first leads to detection a single card as 8 ethernet devices (with the
same IO address), which effectively blocks an usage of any other NIC in
the machine. The bug doesn't affect the system if the modules is loaded
with autodetect option (autodetect=1).

The second bug leads to sudden drop in NIC performance after transfering
some data (about 100KB for me). After transfering the data, the NIC
performance drops to the level of 100 B/s (0.1KB/s), which makes it
unusable.

These errors don't exist in 2.2.x drivers. By comparing source code of
2.4.x and 2.2.x drivers I discovered and finally corrected errors in the
eepro module for 2.4.x kernels. I posted the message to guys who wrote the
kernel code and who made the latest changes. Both email addresses haven't
existed. If there is a maintainer of eepro module somewhere here, please
email me (remove "nospam" from my email address).

If someone is experiencing the mentioned problems with EtherExpress Pro
cards he can contact me. I have a corrected code for the new driver. This
is only one file (eepro.c) which should replace the original driver code
before recompiling kernel.

Best regards,
Chris

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:02:05

> These errors don't exist in 2.2.x drivers. By comparing source code of 2.4.x
> and 2.2.x drivers I discovered and finally corrected errors in the eepro
> module for 2.4.x kernels. I posted the message to guys who wrote the kernel
> code and who made the latest changes. Both email addresses haven't existed.
> If there is a maintainer of eepro module somewhere here, please email me
> (remove "nospam" from my email address).

make sure of the changes upto 2.4.13 and the -ac series.  The ac series in
general has driver fixes first.

Try the kernel mailing list or even post to Alan Cox for inclusion.

karl.

Post by Ty » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:14:37

> Hi guys,

> I don't know where to post it, so I am posting here.

> I found that 2.4.x kernel has buggy driver for Intel EtherExpress Pro 10
> NIC card (maybe some others modules as well - I don't know). These bugs
> were introduced by converting a drver's code for 2.2.x kernels into
> 2.4.x compliant code.

> The eepro module has two bugs.

> The first leads to detection a single card as 8 ethernet devices (with
> the same IO address), which effectively blocks an usage of any other NIC
> in the machine. The bug doesn't affect the system if the modules is
> loaded with autodetect option (autodetect=1).

> The second bug leads to sudden drop in NIC performance after transfering
> some data (about 100KB for me). After transfering the data, the NIC
> performance drops to the level of 100 B/s (0.1KB/s), which makes it
> unusable.

> These errors don't exist in 2.2.x drivers. By comparing source code of
> 2.4.x and 2.2.x drivers I discovered and finally corrected errors in the
> eepro module for 2.4.x kernels. I posted the message to guys who wrote
> the kernel code and who made the latest changes. Both email addresses
> haven't existed. If there is a maintainer of eepro module somewhere
> here, please email me (remove "nospam" from my email address).

> If someone is experiencing the mentioned problems with EtherExpress Pro
> cards he can contact me. I have a corrected code for the new driver.
> This is only one file (eepro.c) which should replace the original driver
> code before recompiling kernel.

> Best regards,
> Chris

Thanks, Chris.
        Yes, it looks like I'm having the same problem with eepro100. While I
will probably change kernels (2.2.x),  I would like to see your corrected
code. Can you forward it on to me? Thanks again for the info.
Ty

Post by shukin » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:49:12

> Hi guys,

> I don't know where to post it, so I am posting here.

> I found that 2.4.x kernel has buggy driver for Intel EtherExpress Pro 10
> NIC card (maybe some others modules as well - I don't know). These bugs
> were introduced by converting a drver's code for 2.2.x kernels into 2.4.x
> compliant code.

> The eepro module has two bugs.

> The first leads to detection a single card as 8 ethernet devices (with the
> same IO address), which effectively blocks an usage of any other NIC in
> the machine. The bug doesn't affect the system if the modules is loaded
> with autodetect option (autodetect=1).

> The second bug leads to sudden drop in NIC performance after transfering
> some data (about 100KB for me). After transfering the data, the NIC
> performance drops to the level of 100 B/s (0.1KB/s), which makes it
> unusable.

> These errors don't exist in 2.2.x drivers. By comparing source code of
> 2.4.x and 2.2.x drivers I discovered and finally corrected errors in the
> eepro module for 2.4.x kernels. I posted the message to guys who wrote the
> kernel code and who made the latest changes. Both email addresses haven't
> existed. If there is a maintainer of eepro module somewhere here, please
> email me (remove "nospam" from my email address).

> If someone is experiencing the mentioned problems with EtherExpress Pro
> cards he can contact me. I have a corrected code for the new driver. This
> is only one file (eepro.c) which should replace the original driver code
> before recompiling kernel.

> Best regards,
> Chris

I also had such problem when using eepro.o (intel 82595FX) and finding
how to solve it. The eepro module take away my next lan card address,
however, it work fine. But the second lan card rtl8139 is actually for
testing the crazy behavior of the network performance only. The eepro
always die away when large amount of data sending out from it. I had
tested it by upload a several M-bytes file to it, it works OK. But when
I tried to download a file back to my machine, the eepro will die away.
the only way that I can do is restart the network once again by ifdown &
ifdown. I will follow you method to fix my problem. Hopefully, you can
give me more information in fixing the module problem. Lastly, is the

1. PPP network problems - it suddenly stopped working...

Yep. It was working just fine, then suddenly, blam!

I use pppd + chat to make the connection. I get all the expected messages when
the dial-up occurs, and it gets down to the place where it calls my ip-up script.
Everything looks fine, except at that point, nothing happens. popclient hangs,
if I try to run ping, it just sits there. ifconfig returns that a couple of packets
have gone through. If I run ping, then ctrl-C it (because it does NOTHING), then
ifconfig reveals that another packet went through. Just one. No network access
works - ftp, rlogin, netscape, ping, etc.

Letting it sit long enough, and it kind of looks like a single packet goes through
each minute.

Any ideas how I might figure out what's wrong? This is the same setup that I have
been running for over a year. It was getting a little slow recently (I'd make a
news request through netscape, and no packets would go over for several seconds),
but now. Help!

andy

--
andy wallace             "The two most common elements in the universe are

http://www.scroom.com

2. Can Java applets be restricted from running under Apache?

3. Strange problem, network doesn't work, networking stuff installed.

4. Question about WWW prefix

5. network voodoo: cant explain why network stopped working

6. Computer Temperature

7. Network cards suddenly not working [Urgent]

8. Crack 5 - Finer granualrity needed for executables

9. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

10. modprobe / module problem w/ network drivers (but network works)

11. X stops networking [was: networking OK only if manually started]

12. NET-2 / SLS 1.03 network routing problems: partial diagnosis

13. Exploding external modem. Stopped working suddenly