Empty dhcpd.leases file

Post by d.. » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have a debian box running ISC dhcpd 2.0 that I compiled from the
source.  In my network, every box has a specific IP address pre-assigned
via mac address (to avoid having to type them in at every machine).
Everything seems fine, except that my dhcpd.leases file is empty.  Well,
not totally empty, the paragraph about GMT is there.  The dhcpd.leases
file exists so a crashed dhcp server knows what leases are out there
when it regains conciousness, so a populated leases file would be
unnessesarry in my situation because all that information is in the
dhcpd.conf file.  I would assume that this empty leases file was
intentional, except that my boss set up a dhcp server on redhat which he
did not compile, and it has an identical dhcpd.conf file, except for a
different subnet, and his leases file is full of information.  (run
on?)  Also, his has a range specified in the subnet, and I had to take
my range line out, because it was complaining about addresses being
assigned to a host, and also being in the pool.  Like I said, this
doesn't cause me any problems, but it does worry me that there might be
larger problems lurking in the darkness.

Thanks!

-D

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Empty dhcpd.leases file

Post by Tom Easte » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I have a debian box running ISC dhcpd 2.0 that I compiled from the
> source.  In my network, every box has a specific IP address pre-assigned
> via mac address (to avoid having to type them in at every machine).
> Everything seems fine, except that my dhcpd.leases file is empty.  Well,
> not totally empty, the paragraph about GMT is there.  The dhcpd.leases
> file exists so a crashed dhcp server knows what leases are out there
> when it regains conciousness, so a populated leases file would be
> unnessesarry in my situation because all that information is in the
> dhcpd.conf file.  I would assume that this empty leases file was
> intentional, except that my boss set up a dhcp server on redhat which he
> did not compile, and it has an identical dhcpd.conf file, except for a
> different subnet, and his leases file is full of information.  (run
> on?)  Also, his has a range specified in the subnet, and I had to take
> my range line out, because it was complaining about addresses being
> assigned to a host, and also being in the pool.  Like I said, this
> doesn't cause me any problems, but it does worry me that there might be
> larger problems lurking in the darkness.

My experience is the same as yours -- where all IP addresses are
preassigned via MAC, there is never anything in the leases file (I
didn't compile my dhcp server but rather just installed in from my RH6.1
CD). Clearly, there's no need for the server to record these static
leases so I would instead wonder what's wrong with your boss' setup.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

1. dhcpd.leases empty

Hi,

I just finished setting up dhcpd on linux to serve Win98 client.
Windows
pulls all the correct information and winipcfg shows the correct lease
timeout values.  Everything seems normal except
that /var/stat/dhcp/dhcpd.leases
doesn't list any active leases.

Any thoughts?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. configuration of AfterStep wm ?

3. dhcpd fails to update dhcpd.leases

4. Alpha 2100 5/300 with Mylex DAC960

5. Why doesn't dhcpd update leases file when hardware ethernet used?

6. Advise needed on Motherboard + CPU selection

7. no dhcp leases in leases file

8. still compile acpi

9. DHCPD - particulars of dhcpd.conf file

10. dhcpd - lease IP on hostname alone

11. DHCPD not flushing old leases

12. win98's DHCPd leases expire too fast... how 2...?

13. dhcpd complaining about dynamic and static leases