Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by gary5.. » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi.
I trying to network a Linux box & Win98 box.
So far I have got the Win98 to access the Linux box, the Linux drives
are in my Network Neighborhood (Yahoo)!
But when i try access the Win98 though the Linux box I get a (incorrect
username or password).
When I type in a password, the area that my Win98 drives should be is
blank.
I can ping both boxes OK.
Workgroups the same.
Is there a set up for Samba or Win98 I'm over looking ?
I have not changed the Samba conf. or password files.
Is this what i need to do, if so how & what do I change.
I have read as many SAMBA Documentations as I can find but I must be
missing something.
Thanks for your help.
Gary

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by Barry Evan » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Could some just post a simplistic smb.conf file?  That would help a
lot of us newbies out, the default smb.conf just has too much _extra_
stuff in it to be much use to us...

TIA,
Bp

Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.
>I trying to network a Linux box & Win98 box.
>So far I have got the Win98 to access the Linux box, the Linux drives
>are in my Network Neighborhood (Yahoo)!
>But when i try access the Win98 though the Linux box I get a (incorrect
>username or password).

How are you accessing it? What does:
        smbclient //win_98_box_name/share_name -U user_name -I ip_of_win98_box
give?

Quote:>When I type in a password, the area that my Win98 drives should be is
>blank.
>I can ping both boxes OK.
>Workgroups the same.
>Is there a set up for Samba or Win98 I'm over looking ?

smb.conf is mostly irrelevant for this; it's more to do with the server
(perhaps the access control and timeout applies to smbclient, I'm not
sure)

Quote:>I have not changed the Samba conf. or password files.
>Is this what i need to do, if so how & what do I change.
>I have read as many SAMBA Documentations as I can find but I must be
>missing something.
>Thanks for your help.
>Gary

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Robie.
--
My ISP's news server was messed up recently; sorry if you haven't
heard a reply from me.

Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by Yehuda Rave » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

go to http://it.samba.org and follow the instructions on chapter 3

> Hi.
> I trying to network a Linux box & Win98 box.
> So far I have got the Win98 to access the Linux box, the Linux drives
> are in my Network Neighborhood (Yahoo)!
> But when i try access the Win98 though the Linux box I get a (incorrect
> username or password).
> When I type in a password, the area that my Win98 drives should be is
> blank.
> I can ping both boxes OK.
> Workgroups the same.
> Is there a set up for Samba or Win98 I'm over looking ?
> I have not changed the Samba conf. or password files.
> Is this what i need to do, if so how & what do I change.
> I have read as many SAMBA Documentations as I can find but I must be
> missing something.
> Thanks for your help.
> Gary

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by gary5.. » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> How are you accessing it?

Through the Corel File Manager : Windows Networking

What does:smbclient //win_98_box_name/share_name -U user_name -I
ip_of_win98_box

Quote:> give?

added interface IP=169.254.13.214 bcst=169.254.13.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
usage : smbclient service <password> [options]
Version 2.0.6 ( then all the options are listed )
\\gary:not enough '\' characters in service

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by gary5.. » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> go to http://it.samba.org and follow the instructions on chapter 3

My Italian not so good :o(
I have read the one in english a few times but I'll give it another try.
I did find a program that got my Linux online going through my Win98
Dialup ISP, one more goal that I can check off.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm
It is installed in Win9X & pretty much a no brainer & I needed that
after messing with this Linux thing !
Any more suggestion on Samba will be most welcome
Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by Wayne Mew » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

try this site for help

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/199910/199910.htm
it certainly helped me

Sincerely
Wayne

> Could some just post a simplistic smb.conf file?  That would help a
> lot of us newbies out, the default smb.conf just has too much _extra_
> stuff in it to be much use to us...

> TIA,
> Bp

Here Samba, Here Samba !!

Post by Anand Singh Bise » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi.
> I trying to network a Linux box & Win98 box.
> So far I have got the Win98 to access the Linux box, the Linux drives
> are in my Network Neighborhood (Yahoo)!
> But when i try access the Win98 though the Linux box I get a (incorrect
> username or password).

This has something to with the shares !! there are three types of share
try using all three.... it's simple i think it's user...