SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

Post by Frank Cont » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:54:23

I'm running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC. It's nice but I'm having the
hardest time seeing my Windows 2000 machine. Strangely the Windows 2000
can see the YD Linux machine and the Linus machine can see another
machine, a Windows 98 machine. The windows machines see each other OK.

I cannot get the linux box to see the 2000 machine at all. The config
file smb.conf has the same workgroup (WORKGROUP) configured.

I KDE panel I've also seemed to lose the ability to browse the network.
I was once able to see WORKGROUP with its icon but no longer. Have I
really screwed up?

Post by Stephen Harri » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:02:17

I'm running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC. It's nice but I'm having the
hardest time seeing my Windows 2000 machine. Strangely the Windows 2000 can
see the YD Linux machine and the Linus machine can see another machine, a
Windows 98 machine. The windows machines see each other OK.
I cannot get the linux box to see the 2000 machine at all. The config file
smb.conf has the same workgroup (WORKGROUP) configured.

SH:
I suppose then that you have used useradd in linux and smbpasswd -a with
identical usernames. I guess to be safe it would be better to add "root"
again. Also there should be a username "root" on the windows machines with
admin rights. This may apply:

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html
"However, with both Windows NT/2000/2003 Servers and Samba Servers, you
cannot add Local Users and Local Groups to Global Groups.One option to get
around this is to select one account from Samba to add it to each Windows
2000/XP workstation's Administrators Local Group. This needs to be done on a
per-workstation basis since Local Groups are just that -- local to the box
itself, and to no one else.There is no way to do this from the Samba server
(nor should there be) or even from a Windows 2000 Server."

Regards, Stephen (read article for greater detail)

Post by Frank Cont » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:32:05

> I'm running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC. It's nice but I'm having the
> hardest time seeing my Windows 2000 machine. Strangely the Windows 2000 can
> see the YD Linux machine and the Linus machine can see another machine, a
> Windows 98 machine. The windows machines see each other OK.
> I cannot get the linux box to see the 2000 machine at all. The config file
> smb.conf has the same workgroup (WORKGROUP) configured.

> SH:
> I suppose then that you have used useradd in linux and smbpasswd -a with
> identical usernames. I guess to be safe it would be better to add "root"
> again. Also there should be a username "root" on the windows machines with
> admin rights. This may apply:

I did add identical usernames. I'll try your suggestion...However I can ping the
windows 2000 machine. Where is the authetication done? With the 98 machine I log
in from the linux box, as noted, with a win98 created user. I can smb to the
file on the kdesktop. Win 98 can get to Win 2000 because of NETBUI protocol. I'm
guessing something had to be done on the Windows 2000 side as opposed to the
linux box.

Thanks.

Quote:

Post by Stephen Harri » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:24:14

> > I'm running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC. It's nice but I'm having the
> > hardest time seeing my Windows 2000 machine. Strangely the Windows 2000
can
> > see the YD Linux machine and the Linus machine can see another machine,
> > Windows 98 machine. The windows machines see each other OK.
> > I cannot get the linux box to see the 2000 machine at all. The config
file
> > smb.conf has the same workgroup (WORKGROUP) configured.

> > SH:
> > I suppose then that you have used useradd in linux and smbpasswd -a with
> > identical usernames. I guess to be safe it would be better to add "root"
> > again. Also there should be a username "root" on the windows machines
with
> > admin rights. This may apply:

> I did add identical usernames. I'll try your suggestion...However I can
ping the
> windows 2000 machine. Where is the authetication done? With the 98 machine
I log
> in from the linux box, as noted, with a win98 created user. I can smb to
the
> file on the kdesktop. Win 98 can get to Win 2000 because of NETBUI
protocol. I'm
> guessing something had to be done on the Windows 2000 side as opposed to
the
> linux box.

> Thanks.

There could be an error in your smb.conf file. Troubleshooting usually
involves
pinging both ways and with the netbios name (machine name). IOW ping
192.168.1.12 should also work using ping with the name of that machine
associated with the IP address. Do you have a netbios name = machine_name
entry in your smb.conf?

Quote:

> > http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html
> > "However, with both Windows NT/2000/2003 Servers and Samba Servers, you
> > cannot add Local Users and Local Groups to Global Groups.One option to
get
> > around this is to select one account from Samba to add it to each
Windows
> > 2000/XP workstation's Administrators Local Group. This needs to be done
on a
> > per-workstation basis since Local Groups are just that -- local to the
box
> > itself, and to no one else.There is no way to do this from the Samba
server
> > (nor should there be) or even from a Windows 2000 Server."

> > Regards, Stephen (read article for greater detail)

SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

Post by Frank Cont » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:10:54

Stephen

I thoroughly checked my smb.conf file and didn't even find an "Commented" inert
line calling for
netbios name = machine_name. There were other references to netbios but not the
kind you described.

fc

Post by Stephen Harri » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:40:51

"Frank Conte"  wrote:
> Stephen

> I thoroughly checked my smb.conf file and didn't even find an "Commented"
inert
> line calling for
> netbios name = machine_name. There were other references to netbios but
not the
> kind you described.

> fc

Stephen Harris wrote:

There is a fairly well-written doc called the Samba HowTo which should
help you: http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/
The current Samba-3 release version of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection
may be found here in PDF and HTML formats.

I like the pdf because it seems easier to search. Then sometimes to cut
and paste I use the html version. I found 99 references to "netbios name"
and here are a couple of examples with netbios name in the smb.conf.
There are also sections dealing with file and directory ownerships etc.

Example 11.2. Configuration with LDAP

      [global]
      security = user
      encrypt passwords = yes
      netbios name = MORIA
      workgroup = NOLDOR

      Example 17.1. smb.conf with DFS configured

            [global]
            netbios name = GANDALF
            host msdfs = yes

            [dfs]
            path = /export/dfsroot
            msdfs root = yes

            SH: Incidentally, the usenet group linux.samba has a
            concentration of networking experience with samba,
            plus about 10 times as many messages posted.

            From groups.google.com I found these references:

            # This sets the NetBIOS name by which a Samba server is known.
            # By default it is the same as the first component of the host's
DNS name.
            # If a machine is a browse server or logon server this name
            # (or the first component of the hosts DNS name) will be the
name that these
            # services are advertised under.
                netbios name = <15 chars max)>

            # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
               workgroup = <MYGROUP>

            SH: next example

            # Global parameters
            [global]
                  workgroup           = universe
                  netbios name        = pirahna
                  domain master       = yes
                  os level            = 33
            I am using the following smb.conf file in order to get different
            options depending on what name the user uses to
            connect to our Samba server (1.9.17p4):

            SH: next example

            [global]

            ;  Multiple personality SAMBA server based on system name.

            config file = /usr/add-on/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L

In each smb.conf.%L file I use the 'netbios name' and 'wins server' option
to set the values I need. However, I note that the netbios names that I am
setting are not being registered with the NT Wins servers specified.

If I set the netbios name in the top level smb.conf file it works as
expected.
How can I get nmbd to register multiple names with each name registration
going to a different NT Wins server?

SH: next example

I have the latest version ( as of two nights ago) of Samba running on
OpenBSD 3.0.

            My problem is that I can't seem to resolve the NetBIOS name of
my server from my two workstations (Windows XP Pro).  My two XP machines
can resolve each other just fine.  However they can't resolve the NetBIOS
name
of my OpenBSD server.
            {SH: This is why I suggested pinging the linux machine by name.}

            SH: next example

            *) Install the samba and the samba-client from the rpms (go
            to rpmfind.net for the latest rpm's) i used samba-2.2.7-2
            and samba-client-2.2.7-2 pkgs

             *) $rpm -i samba* install the samba software on the linux
            box.

             *) open the smb.conf and put in the below entries

            # Global parameters
            [global]
               netbios name = MYSAMBASHARE
               workgroup = MYSAMBAWORKGROUP
               log level = 3
               log file = /tmp/samba/log/samba.log
               encrypt passwords=yes
               #security=user
               security=share
               hosts allow=12.20.

            # info abt shared directories
            [sharedir]
               path =/home/testsamba
               browseable = yes
               read only = no
               directory mode=0775
               create mode=0664

            the security= share lets all the authenticated
            users to see the [sharedir]. there are several
            other options for security= user or security=
            domain etc .

             There is a know bug in windows network
            neigbourhood, which doesnot allow a user who does
            not have the same user name/passwd on both win
            2k(client ) and the samba server(linux) to see the
            [shareddir] when the security=user is set in the
            above smb.conf.

            the "hosts allow=12.20" lets the users with the
            IP's starting with 12.20.* see the [sharedir]

            SH: security is usually set to user; since you have
            tried identical usernames and passwords, the issue
            he talks about (network neighborhood, is not the
            cause of the problem. In google using the keywords
            smb.conf and netbios name I found 12,300 hits. I
            think maybe 12,000 of those will show netbios name =
            machine_name in the [global] section of the smb.conf.
            However, this was offered as a suggestion for you to
            try, not as a guaranteed cure.

SH: last example

I'm having a problem with name resolution and samba. I'm running samba
1.9.17p4 on Solaris 2.5.1 and need to enable DNS. I'm using the
"netbios name" field in smb.conf to specify a different computer name
instead
of my current samba server hostname. This works fine until I change the
nsswitch.conf file on my server to enable DNS.
If I change the line:

host:    files

host:    files    dns

my netbios name is no longer recognized as a valid samba server. I still
see it in the network neighborhood, but if I click on it to view the shares,
it indicates its not a valid server.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Here is a link to a troubleshooting guide:
            http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/winnetprobs.htm

            And a lot of networking tutorials:
            http://www.wown.com/
            http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/w2kshare.html

            There are quite a few reasons for Samba not to work
            and the documentation is a better resource than me
            for exploring those reasons in a systematic manner.

            Happy Holidays,
            Stephen

Post by Neil Horma » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:53:44

> I'm running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC. It's nice but I'm having the
> hardest time seeing my Windows 2000 machine. Strangely the Windows 2000
> can see the YD Linux machine and the Linus machine can see another
> machine, a Windows 98 machine. The windows machines see each other OK.

When you use the term "see" what do you mean?  Do you mean you can ping
their ip addresses, or that you can see them in a network browser?

Quote:> I cannot get the linux box to see the 2000 machine at all. The config
> file smb.conf has the same workgroup (WORKGROUP) configured.

Is the 2000 machine configured to participate in the WORKGROUP workgroup?

Quote:> I KDE panel I've also seemed to lose the ability to browse the network.
> I was once able to see WORKGROUP with its icon but no longer. Have I
> really screwed up?

This sounds to me kind of like a netbios name resolution problem:

1) is wins listed as a resolution method in nsswitch.conf?

2) is libnsswins.so properly installed?

3) is nmbd running?

HTH
Neil

--
  Neil Horman
  Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman

SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

Post by Mark Bratche » Wed, 17 Dec 2003 04:03:21

Quote:

> I'm running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC. It's nice but I'm having the
> hardest time seeing my Windows 2000 machine. Strangely the Windows 2000
> can see the YD Linux machine and the Linus machine can see another
> machine, a Windows 98 machine. The windows machines see each other OK.

> I cannot get the linux box to see the 2000 machine at all. The config
> file smb.conf has the same workgroup (WORKGROUP) configured.

> I KDE panel I've also seemed to lose the ability to browse the network.
> I was once able to see WORKGROUP with its icon but no longer. Have I
> really screwed up?

Do you have a guest account enabled on the Windows 2000 machine?
By default, it's not enabled.

--
Mark Bratcher
Why choose Linux? Check out this Ernie Ball saga:

SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

Post by Stephen Harri » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:58:59

Quote:> Stephen

> I thoroughly checked my smb.conf file and didn't even find an "Commented"
inert
> line calling for
> netbios name = machine_name. There were other references to netbios but
not the
> kind you described.

> fc

I just found an online tutorial with pictures which should work for anyone
who is linux/windows literate. http://www.samba.netfirms.com/

"netbios name = Samba: netbios name is what you will see in your Windows pc
"Network Neighborhood" for your Samba server.You can name this anything you
wish. If you leave it blank, it will default to your host name."

SH: Actually I think it defaults to the name before the first period:
tiger.woods.com  the default would be tiger (must be =/less than 15
characters)

If a user did not create a hostname during installation then in RedHat
one would edit /etc/sysconfig/network and add a HOSTNAME="somename" line
edit /etc/hosts and then use the command hostname "somename" without quotes.

Samba.org has just released 3.0.1 which fixes some swat bugs etc. The
tutorial
mentions how to restart the smb daemon for changes to start working. I have
seen scripts for this. In RH, I think the easiest way is to go to the black
and
white command line screen and type "setup". This brings up a configuration
screen with a few choices. There is one called services if I remember
correctly
and if that choice is expanded it shows a list of all available services. If
smb
does not have a check mark, put one in and smb will start automatically
thereafter.

From the Introduction:
1) In coming to this website, it is assumed that you have a working TCP/IP
network. This meaning that all pc's are on the same subnet, IP range, and
that you are able to ping all your pc's by name and IP. If your network does
not meet these conditions, there is no sense in proceeding further as Samba
requires a properly configured TCP/IP network in order to function properly.
SH: Pinging by name and IP is also mentioned in the Samba HowTo maybe
chapter 26. Samba.org also has chapter 12 (Troubleshooting) of Linux in 24
Hours which dwells upon netbios considerations.

Regards,

Stephen

SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

Post by Stephen Harri » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:10:28

Quote:> Stephen

> I thoroughly checked my smb.conf file and didn't even find an "Commented"
inert
> line calling for
> netbios name = machine_name. There were other references to netbios but
not the
> kind you described.

> fc

http://www.samba.netfirms.com/faq.htm
 Q: I can see the Samba server in network neighborhood, but when I click on
it, I get the error message "network path not found"

  A: If you have followed the instructions correctly here, then a few
possibilities would be that:

  1) There is a network pc/share, but the smb protocol is being blocked from
communicating with it. Now with Redhat  when you do the install, there is a
firewall that most people choose to install it and guess what....it blocks
ports 137-139, the very same ports that the smb protocol relies on. Since I
do not use Redhat, I cannot tell you how to open these ports.

  2) Could be a DNS issue, which in it's own right is not a Samba issue,
rather a very basic TCP/IP networking issue...you need to have a proper
TCP/IP network setup before attempting to setup Samba.

  SH: One way to disable the firewall is to go to a black and white screen
and from the command prompt type "setup" one of those choices also lets the
user disable the firewall. Then test to see if the network is up.
Afterwards, there is probably a way to allow the samba ports specifically or
use a router with a firewall.

SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

Post by Frank Cont » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:01:58

Quote:

> 1) is wins listed as a resolution method in nsswitch.conf?

I'll check

Quote:

> 2) is libnsswins.so properly installed?

I don't know

Quote:

> 3) is nmbd running?

Yes
Quote:

> HTH
> Neil

> --
>   Neil Horman
>   Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman
>   gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1, http://www.keyserver.net

1. Can't get ftp on Windows 2000 to work on network connected by Samba

I have a network consisting of several Linux machines and one Windows
2000 machine. This network is tied together using Samba, and one of the
Linux machines has a modem on it that connects my network to my isp. My
problem is this:
If I try to connnect to an external machine using ftp on the Windows
2000 machine, I can get connected, but when it goes to open the
directory on the remote location, I get a message "Port 192.168.0.2,6,85

500 Illegal Port command
!Failed "retrieve remote file list"
unable to retrieve remote file list

I've tried several ftp programs, including command line ftp, and I get
the same, or similar results. (192.168.0.2 is my Windows 2000 machine) I
can connect to remote ftp sites if I run ftp on any of the Linux boxes.
Does anybody know what the problem is, or if there is any fix? I've
tried to connect to many different sites, and I get the same problems.

TIA,
Ed

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 4 of 6)

3. Redhat 5.2's Samba + Windows 2000 Pro (build 1965) DOES NOT NETWORK

4. DOSEMU, PICK and Linux 1.2.13

5. Networking: Windows 2000 & Linux machines.

6. Postfix 2.0.0.1 problem on FreeBSD 4.7

7. Samba: Problem joining RHEL 3 machine to a WIndows 2000 domain

8. Newbie can't use window controls. Why?

9. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

10. Networking Linux Redhat 8.0 & Windows 2000 Pro On Dynamic Based Network

11. URGENT: lost 'rsh', 'smb', and 'cd ~'

12. SANE 2000 - May 22-25, 2000 (2nd Int'l System Administration & Networking Conference)