PPP demand dialing won't work under 2.2.3 ???

PPP demand dialing won't work under 2.2.3 ???

Post by Ron Flor » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

hi-

 I've been using demand-dialing under a RedHat 5.2-based 2.0.36 system
for a long time now, and would like to update to 2.2.3.  I have several
systems, some running 2.0.x series kernels, and others running 2.2.3
kenels, so I have a fair amount of experience with both.

 The key problem under pppd 2.3.5 (and pppd 2.3.3) with 2.2.3 kernel
seems to be the 'noipdefault' option no longer behaves correctly.  If
its present, it now prevents the assignment of the 'bogus' remote
address (which is simply a placeholder in the routing table, to be
changed to the actual remote address upon connection).  If it not
present the pppd daemon aborts, and says no remote address assigned
(which is required for demand dialing).

 I've specified both 'ipcp-accept-local' and 'ipcp-accept-remote'
options, which should work as they did under 2.0.36.

 Here's my 'options.modem' file:

/dev/modem
115200
crtscts
demand
modem
connect "chat -v -r /etc/ppp/report -f /etc/ppp/dialout"
defaultroute
user rjflory
kdebug 1
debug
0.0.0.0:198.247.1.62
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
mtu 4096
mru 4096
noipdefault
idle 1200
bsdcomp 15,15
deflate 15,15
noipx
ipx-routing 0

 which is working perfectly under pppd 2.3.3 on a 2.0.36 RedHat 5.2
machine nearby (i'm routine this message through it...).

 Also, watch out.  The pcmcia startup scripts will clobber your
/dev/modev softlink if it find any /dev/cua* entries, so delete them if
you are running a pcmcia modem under 2.2.x kernels.

ron

1. PPP problems - "Dial on Demand" won't dial

I've installed FreeBsd 2.1.6 with an NE2000 Ethernet card (to access
other computers on my LAN) and a modem.  All is working fine for
manually dialing out. However, when I execute

ppp -auto e  (where 'e' is the name of a profile in ppp.conf)

ppp loads fine and appears to wait for requests.

(I've also examined the latest scripts as suggested by an earilier

However, when I go to look for things outside my domain, ppp does not
automatically dial up my ISP.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Darren

2. Cannot label a new tape in Solstice (Networker)

3. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

4. X server on Sampo Laptop

5. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

6. Latest Driver for aic-7890 - where is it?

7. pppd dial on demand won't work until link is restarted

8. uulog command ?

9. Spppcontrol isdn dial-on-demand won't work

10. Won't dial-on-demand, routing works if run pppd manually

11. Can't get Dial-up-on-demand using PPP/NAT to work

12. SuSe & kde ppp dial won't work!

13. PPP dial in --- won't even dial