DHCPCD Problems

DHCPCD Problems

Post by Rob van der Putte » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:13:07



Hi there

When I start dhcpcd, it configures ETH0 with address 0.0.0.0, mask
0.0.0.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255 and sets a route to 255.255.255.255
via ETH0.
The result is that all networking with other interfaces (such as ETH1)
becomes completely impossible.

Is there a way to have dhcpcd start with more sensible defaults?
Or does one have to edit the source to achive this?

Regards,
Rob
--
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

|                 http://www.sput.nl/spam-policy.html                  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

DHCPCD Problems

Post by Kevin Crox » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 05:05:54



>Hi there

>When I start dhcpcd, it configures ETH0 with address 0.0.0.0, mask
>0.0.0.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255 and sets a route to 255.255.255.255
>via ETH0.
>The result is that all networking with other interfaces (such as ETH1)
>becomes completely impossible.

>Is there a way to have dhcpcd start with more sensible defaults?
>Or does one have to edit the source to achive this?

>Regards,
>Rob
>--
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

>|                 http://www.sput.nl/spam-policy.html                  |
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Simply invoke dhcpcd with the name of the desired interface as an
argument:  

 dhcpcd eth0

which will prevent the other interfaces from getting mucked up. The
0.0.0.0 address, with the accompanying netmask, broadcast, and
route are exactly what a M$ dhcp server on NT expects them to be
before dishing out an address. Initially configuring eth0 on
192.168.0.xxx  seems to generally fail in obtaining a lease
when an M$ dhcp server is out there.  In the reverse scenario,
when an NT *client* is trying to get an
address from a *Linux* dhcp server, frequently the 255.255.255.255
route will have to be explicitly *added* on the Linux dhcp server
with "route add" before the NT client can find the dhcp server.

Don't you just hate internetworking?   :)

--Kevin

 
 
 

DHCPCD Problems

Post by Rob van der Putte » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:49:30


Hi there


> Simply invoke dhcpcd with the name of the desired interface as an
> argument:

>  dhcpcd eth0

If I remember correctly, that's what the start script does.

Quote:> which will prevent the other interfaces from getting mucked up.

route and ifconfig don't show anything mucked up.

Quote:> The
> 0.0.0.0 address, with the accompanying netmask, broadcast, and
> route are exactly what a M$ dhcp server on NT expects them to be
> before dishing out an address. Initially configuring eth0 on
> 192.168.0.xxx  seems to generally fail in obtaining a lease
> when an M$ dhcp server is out there.

The server is not a NT box.

Quote:> In the reverse scenario,
> when an NT *client* is trying to get an
> address from a *Linux* dhcp server, frequently the 255.255.255.255
> route will have to be explicitly *added* on the Linux dhcp server
> with "route add" before the NT client can find the dhcp server.

What if you want to run both a dhcp client and server on the same box.

Regards,
Rob
--
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

|                 http://www.sput.nl/spam-policy.html                  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

DHCPCD Problems

Post by Rob van der Putte » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:24:44


Hi there


Quote:> If I remember correctly, that's what the start script does.

I just checked it and it does.

I did a bit of experimentation. I first firewalled eth0 completely and
then manually configured eth0 at 0.0.0.0/0 broadcast 255.255.255.255
It's only when I set the route to 255.255.255.255 to eth0 that things go
wrong.

Vr.Gr,
Rob
--
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

|                 http://www.sput.nl/spam-policy.html                  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

DHCPCD Problems

Post by Rob van der Putte » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 06:32:36


Hi there


Quote:> It's only when I set the route to 255.255.255.255 to eth0 that things go
> wrong.

It gets even weirder;
If I start a ping and then start DHCPCD and then stop it again, the ping
uses its own mac address rather then the destination mac address in the
ip header.
Which is of course why networking seizes to work.
Sounds like a kernel bug to me.

Regards,
Rob
--
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

|                 http://www.sput.nl/spam-policy.html                  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

1. NEWBIE: Dhcpcd problem.

Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a local lan with Linux, Win machines, and a Linux IP Masq firewall,
two nics, one connected to a cable modem. I changed the ifup script to add
the proper hostname to dhcpcd to request the ip address from the dhcp
server. Everything is good in cable land. All machines work and can connect,
performance is good.

I have only one nagging problem. Occasionally, dhcpcd tries to renew the ip
address and fails. I get a console message something like "eth1: Setting rx
mode to 0 addresses". This happens about once every two or three days ( at
least when I notice). After this happens an ifconfig shows eth1 set to
0.0.0.0. I assume that it did not renew the lease. Now I should be able to
run ifup eth1, and get everything to work, but this always responds
"failed". I tried ifdown eth1 first and it says no such pid, that's ok, and
then ifup eth1 and it fails. If I reboot the machine it always gets the ip
address.

Can someone enlighted me about what's going on?

Thanks for any help
Leo

2. beginning with PowerQuiccII 8260

3. dhcpcd Problem

4. Just 16MB recognized

5. help! -- dhcpcd problems

6. Creative Labs CDROM cd200 unrecognized

7. dhcpcd problems

8. networking

9. dhcpcd problem

10. dhcpcd problems kinda strange

11. 2.2.3 over RH 5.2: DHCPCD problem with Cable Modem

12. dhcpcd problems, RH5.1, cable modem

13. DHCPcd problem