slowing down the process

Post by Mahes » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just installed Red Hat 5.0 (kernel 2.2.5) on a laptop. and this is
my first time. I managed to get it on to the network. But it becomes
very slow when it is not hooked to the network. (PC card is 3COM
LAN+modem). It takes more than a minute just to open a terminal in
xwindows and more than 4 minutes to start xwindows. During this time if
I hook it to the network it starts immediately. Any ideas what could be
causing this. During the shutdown process I noticed that it failed to
shutdown httpd. Is it in anyway relevant to the above problem.

And also if you can, please let me know where can I find the
documentation for ezppp set up.

Thanks a lot

-Mahesh

slowing down the process

Post by Raymonds Doetje » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Looks like an IRQ conflict!
Check your irq's in the proc dir if the nic's IRQ is shooting up than this
might idicate that you have a conflict.

Raymond

> Hi,

> I've just installed Red Hat 5.0 (kernel 2.2.5) on a laptop. and this is
> my first time. I managed to get it on to the network. But it becomes
> very slow when it is not hooked to the network. (PC card is 3COM
> LAN+modem). It takes more than a minute just to open a terminal in
> xwindows and more than 4 minutes to start xwindows. During this time if
> I hook it to the network it starts immediately. Any ideas what could be
> causing this. During the shutdown process I noticed that it failed to
> shutdown httpd. Is it in anyway relevant to the above problem.

> And also if you can, please let me know where can I find the
> documentation for ezppp set up.

> Thanks a lot

> -Mahesh

1. slowing down the processes

Hi,

I've just installed Red Hat 5.0 (kernel 2.2.5) on a laptop. and this is
my first time. I managed to get it on to the network. But it becomes
very slow when it is not hooked to the network. (PC card is 3COM
LAN+modem). It takes more than a minute just to open a terminal in
xwindows and more than 4 minutes to start xwindows. During this time if
I hook it to the network it starts immediately. Any ideas what could be
causing this. During the shutdown process I noticed that it failed to
shutdown httpd. Is it in anyway relevant to the above problem.

And also if you can, please let me know where can I find the
documentation for ezppp set up.

Thanks a lot

-Mahesh

2. mach32, static, arg!

3. postfix creates a lot of processes that slow down my machine

4. Changer device (TSL-9000) > msg for Jim Pennino

5. Dual-Processing (SMP) with Linux slow down system!

6. x windows virtual desktop

7. Boot process slowed down at sendmail

8. Need to make 6 Gig Filesystem

9. NFS: When one server goes down, entire network slows down to a crawl.

10. 2.5 slows down on slow ftp's

11. SUN-10 news server slows down when more memory is added

12. rh5 x slow down question.

13. Hard disk slow-down with 2.0.31