A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection - problem for Linux ftp client.

A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection - problem for Linux ftp client.

Post by vinc » Sun, 11 Mar 2007 07:35:35

Here is my machine configuration:

I have 3 window server 2003.  Each one hosts a VMWare server, which in
turn contains both window based and linux based virtual machines.

All the window based virtual machines have no problem connecting to
any of the outside world FTP server.  But all the linux based (i386-
redhat-linux-gnu version 2.4.20-8) virtual machines returns the "421
Service not available, remote server has closed connection" error
right after the username is entered.  For instance:

ftp> open wirefreethought.com
Connected to wirefreethought.com (66.199.224.58).
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1)
Name (wirefreethought.com:root): vince
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Transport endpoint is not connected

The strange things is, if I try "ping hostname" first, then
immediately follow by "ftp hostname", everything works fine.  Any
other time, the above error occurs.  Everything worked fine before,
until yesterday the problem suddenly occurs.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Vince

1. A Strange problem - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Everything works fine before, but suddenly the error occurs since
yesterday. Here is my machine configuration:

I have three Window Server 2003 machines.  Each one hosts a VMWare
server, which in turn contains both window based and linux based
virtual machines.

All the window based virtural machines have no problem connecting to
any outside world FTP server.  But the linux based (i386-redhat-linux-
gnu) virutal machines return the "421 Service not available, remote
server has closed connection" error right after the "username" is
entered.  For instance:

ftp> open wirefreethought.com
Connected to wirefreethought.com (66.199.224.58).
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1)
Name (wirefreethought.com:root): vince
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Transport endpoint is not connected

The strange thing is, if I first do the "ping hostname", then
immediately follow by "ftp hostname", everything works fine.  Any
other times the same error occurs.  Why does this happen?  Everything
worked fine before until yesterday.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Vince

2. 2.8 TCP/UDP problem (BUG?)

3. ftp 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

4. voip on private lan

5. wuftp: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed

6. programing

7. ftp 421 remote service not available

8. Help! KDE still problematic.

9. 421 remote server has closed connection???

10. FTP: 421 Service not available....

11. FTP error: 421 Service Not Available

12. FTP error ' 421 Service not available'

13. anon ftp:421 Service not available