anyone using multiport USB -> serial devices

anyone using multiport USB -> serial devices

Post by dave6 » Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:20:12

Hi.   I'm looking for anyone who may have had some success with multi-
port usb -> serial devices.

I have used single port devices and they work great for dialing out
but at least the one I used wouldn't let me run setserial so as to
configure to answer a modem.     I  would like to update the hardware
used for an ancient legacy application.  Currently we use terminal
servers that can answer the modems and establish PPP links for
incoming calls.  I don't have a problem with setting up a PPP server
on Linux, I just need to be able to setup modems to answer incoming
calls.

If you used used such a device, can you please post the name of it.
Thanks.

Post by Bob Hauc » Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:19:48

> Hi.   I'm looking for anyone who may have had some success with multi-
> port usb -> serial devices.

I've used 4-port devices from Digi and Sealevel.  But not to answer
modems.

Quote:> I have used single port devices and they work great for dialing out
> but at least the one I used wouldn't let me run setserial so as to
> configure to answer a modem.

Using setserial is a very strange way to configure a port to answer a
modem.  Usually one would use something like mgetty.  AFAIK, setserial
is only used to set things like the IRQ for a normal UART and is not
very useful with any USB serial device.

--
 -| Bob Hauck (Brother Nail Gun of The Short Path)
 -| http://www.haucks.org/

Post by David Brow » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 04:30:28

> Hi.   I'm looking for anyone who may have had some success with multi-
> port usb -> serial devices.

I don't know much about setserial, but if you want multiple serial ports
it will be much easier (and probably cheaper) to get a usb hub and
several single serial port devices.

Alternative solutions include Ethernet-based serial hubs (which often
have lots of ports), or a PCI serial card.

mvh.,

David

Quote:> I have used single port devices and they work great for dialing out
> but at least the one I used wouldn't let me run setserial so as to
> configure to answer a modem.     I  would like to update the hardware
> used for an ancient legacy application.  Currently we use terminal
> servers that can answer the modems and establish PPP links for
> incoming calls.  I don't have a problem with setting up a PPP server
> on Linux, I just need to be able to setup modems to answer incoming
> calls.

> If you used used such a device, can you please post the name of it.
> Thanks.

1. Multiport serial cards VS multiport USB hubs.

    I am considering starting up a small Internet Service Provider using a
Linux/Alpha based machine that has USB support. I was considering buying an
8 port serial card to hook up the dialin modems (haven't bought the modems
as yet). But the prices for multiport serial card hardware is quite
expensive compared to another alternative, multiport USB hubs.
Has anyone here setup up an ISP using USB hubs and USB modems?

2. Help Please: PPP Connects but no ping or Netscape

3. << <<anyone using dyn-html?>> >>

4. Process Kernel Stack and Interrupt Stack

5. usb <-> 4 serial RS232 options, usb UPSes?

6. "LI" problem booting

7. Device driver for the Decision PCCOM8 multiport serial card

8. Commercial [D [D [D

9. Multiport serial device products?? Help Please?

10. Question about multiport serial devices

11. Problem using USB to Serial adapter(GUC232A) for a serial modem