error: cannot find ppp0 interface

Post by Shahriar Mohktar » Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:00

My system has a NIC (eth0) for home networking with fixed ip 192.168.1.1.
When I try to dial up to my ISP the system does not obtain the ip that my
ISP assigns dynamically. ifconfig shows that ppp0 has the ip 192.168.1.1. I
tried a couple of things with no success. Any idea what's wrong? I also get
an error message "cannot find ppp0 interface"!

Shahriar Mokhtari

Post by Clifford Kit » Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> My system has a NIC (eth0) for home networking with fixed ip 192.168.1.1.
> When I try to dial up to my ISP the system does not obtain the ip that my
> ISP assigns dynamically. ifconfig shows that ppp0 has the ip 192.168.1.1. I
> tried a couple of things with no success. Any idea what's wrong? I also get
> an error message "cannot find ppp0 interface"!

The pppd option "noipdefault" should cure the problem of getting an IP
address from the ISP.

Dunno what the "cannot find ppp0 interface" message means.  If the ppp
interface shows up with ifconfig then it exists.

--

/* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
   debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

error: cannot find ppp0 interface

Post by Shahriar Mohktar » Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > My system has a NIC (eth0) for home networking with fixed ip
192.168.1.1.
> > When I try to dial up to my ISP the system does not obtain the ip that
my
> > ISP assigns dynamically. ifconfig shows that ppp0 has the ip
192.168.1.1. I
> > tried a couple of things with no success. Any idea what's wrong? I also
get
> > an error message "cannot find ppp0 interface"!

> The pppd option "noipdefault" should cure the problem of getting an IP
> address from the ISP.

> Dunno what the "cannot find ppp0 interface" message means.  If the ppp
> interface shows up with ifconfig then it exists.

> --

> /* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
>    debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

-----------
Using "noipdefault" solved the problem, but the new problem is that I do not
have any DNS. When I dial to my ISP in windows it assigns the DNS
dynamically, how can I get them in linux? I guess I can manually enter them,
but just curios, anyway I can get them dynamically?

Shahriar Mokhtari

Post by C Sanjayan Rosenmun » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> -----------
> Using "noipdefault" solved the problem, but the new problem is that I do not
> have any DNS. When I dial to my ISP in windows it assigns the DNS
> dynamically, how can I get them in linux? I guess I can manually enter them,
> but just curios, anyway I can get them dynamically?

> Shahriar Mokhtari

The only way I know of to get DNS servers dyanmically is using DHCP,
which (to my knowledge) dose not work with pppd.  you have to enter
them manually in /etc/resolv.conf using the following pattern:
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  #primary DNS server
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  #secondary DNS server
... ( if you have more than two servers that you can use. . .)
hope this helps
--
Sanjay

Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
                            Press any key to reboot.

Post by Charles Philip Cha » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

    >> ----------- Using "noipdefault" solved the problem, but the new
    >> problem is that I do not have any DNS. When I dial to my ISP in
    >> windows it assigns the DNS dynamically, how can I get them in
    >> linux? I guess I can manually enter them, but just curios,
    >> anyway I can get them dynamically?
    >>
    >> Shahriar Mokhtari

    > The only way I know of to get DNS servers dyanmically is using
    > DHCP, which (to my knowledge) dose not work with pppd.  you have
    > to enter them manually in /etc/resolv.conf using the following
    > pattern: nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #primary DNS server
    > nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #secondary DNS server ... ( if you
    > have more than two servers that you can use. . .)  hope this
    > helps

Actually you can do it with just pppd if you use the

        usepeerdns

option. It will then ask the peer for 2 dns server address and set it
to the environmental variables DNS1 and DNS2 for use in ip-up
scripts. It will also create the file /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. I guess
the easiest way is to symlink /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf.

Charles

error: cannot find ppp0 interface

Post by Hilario » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

dhcpcd sets up it's own resolv.conf when it obtains it's lease from your IP.
You can use it as follows:

mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.old
mkdir /etc/dhcpc
ln -s /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

And you should be all set as dhcp will fill in the name servers for you...

---
>     >> ----------- Using "noipdefault" solved the problem, but the new
>     >> problem is that I do not have any DNS. When I dial to my ISP in
>     >> windows it assigns the DNS dynamically, how can I get them in
>     >> linux? I guess I can manually enter them, but just curios,
>     >> anyway I can get them dynamically?

>     >> Shahriar Mokhtari

>     > The only way I know of to get DNS servers dyanmically is using
>     > DHCP, which (to my knowledge) dose not work with pppd.  you have
>     > to enter them manually in /etc/resolv.conf using the following
>     > pattern: nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #primary DNS server
>     > nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #secondary DNS server ... ( if you
>     > have more than two servers that you can use. . .)  hope this
>     > helps

> Actually you can do it with just pppd if you use the

> usepeerdns

> option. It will then ask the peer for 2 dns server address and set it
> to the environmental variables DNS1 and DNS2 for use in ip-up
> scripts. It will also create the file /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. I guess
> the easiest way is to symlink /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf.

> Charles

1. cannot find interface ppp0

I have been trying unsucessfully to get Mandrake 7.1 to connect up to my ISP
and have been at for about 2 weeks, I'm no idiot either and have been ussing
Linux on and off since the days of floppy disk installs. Ok here's the
story; I installed Linux and it ran perfectly first time, great! I played
around for a while then decided to setup my internet connection, five
minutes later I realised I had a damn winmodem in my Toshiba laptop, an hour
later and I found a linux "driver" for my Lucent winmodem and could now dial
out on /dev/modem which is really /dev/ttyS14 but the actual serial port is
COM2 (/dev/ttyS1) under Windows, with me still? Well after an while at
trying to confiure my login script in KPPP I gave up for a while. Next I
tried just logging in to my ISP uder a shell account and worked perfectly
leading me to belive that my LT winmodem is fully functionally under this
distro of Linux. After a while I finally get my connection script finished
but my connection still dies constantly, not only that but my computer
freezes about a minute after PPPD unexpectedly dies and shows me nothing
other than "connected ppp0 <--> ttyS14". I decided to run KPPP in a terminal
and when I tried to connect and pppd died the Konsole terminal showed
"cannot find interface: ppp0".
Well that's my story hope you can help

thanks,
 William

2. X25 driver for Linux

3. pppd: Couldn′t find interface ppp0

4. Comressed www

5. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

6. Staroffice 3.1

7. Can't find interface ppp0: no such device

8. Unknown major/minor Devtype - IBM DeskStar 120 GB

9. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

10. couldn't find interface ppp0: no such device

11. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

12. kppp cannot find ppp0

13. NOTICE: IP: Fatal error (104) on interface ppp0, marking down.