Linux 2.0.32 gateway not sending ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE

Linux 2.0.32 gateway not sending ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE

Post by Matthew Peterso » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have a Linux gateway that masquerades and forwards IP packets from an
Ethernet LAN to an
dialup ISP.  All of the hosts on the LAN are using network 192.168.100.0
and
have a default route of 192.168.100.254 (which is the linux gateway)

Everything works great as long as I have the PPP interface on the
gateway up,
but when I take down the PPP interface (which removes the only route to
The
Internet), the hosts on the LAN don't get ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE returns
on
packets sent to the gateway.  All IP packets get lost an the gateway
makes not ICMP reply.  This whichcauses Netscape (and any other network
app)  to look like it is frozen  until it finally times out.

When the PPP interface goes down I want the LAN users to get the
appropriate
errors that result from an ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE from the gateway.

What do I need to do?

Thanks.