IP alias - Kernel crash - 1.2.13 kernel, 3com 3c590 module

IP alias - Kernel crash - 1.2.13 kernel, 3com 3c590 module

Post by Justin Keer » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi there!

I'm running 1.2.13 (slackware, ELF)

My system is all PCI, and I'm using a 3com 3c590 PCI Ethernet card the
NASA 3c59x driver in module form. It worked just fine till I added the
"alias" patch, which was OK on another machine with a 3c509 (also driven
with a module)...

Now my kernel crashes spectacularly when I try to access the network.

Can anyone help? Or should I just ditch the PCI card and use a 3c309 ISA
card?

Should I even consider going straight to Linux 2.x - and if so can anyone
recommend a really good CD-based distribution?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1. 3Com 3c590 and kernel 1.2.13

I've just installed RedHat 2.1 from CD and found that the kernel
(1.2.13) doesn't support my network card - a 3Com 3c590 ... I've
tried to install the Modules version of device driver from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html .... it
appears to compile correctly (no errors anyway, though since
it's the first thing I've ever compiled I can't be sure ;-).

When I try and load the module via "insmod 3c59x.o" I get the
following error message

irq2dev_map undefined
Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.2.13 don't
match 1.2.13

What on earth does this mean ?  I've not got any networking
installed - I said no ethernet when choosing the boot disk - but
assume that this isn't the problem.

Kernel 2.0 has support for this network card .... but I can't
get the kernel without having network support - Catch 22.

Anyone experienced the same problem ?

Thanks in advance

David
http;//skpc10.rdg.ac.uk/

2. Remove duplicate entries from more than one file

3. IP alias patch on 1.2.13 causes kernel panic

4. Sound Card

5. redhat 3.03 (1.2.13 kernel) and Ip aliasing

6. ISC curses/AT386 bug ?

7. 3Com 3C590 && Linux 1.2.13?

8. WANTED: BETA Testers

9. Linux 1.2.13 and 3COM 3c590

10. IP-IP Encapsulation and the 1.2.13 kernel

11. 3com 3c589b with kernel 1.2.13

12. 3com 3c589b w/kernel 1.2.13

13. 3com 3c589 w/kernel 1.2.13