Multiple ICQ users behind a firewall

Post by (Frank » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello All,

I've got my firewall more or less set up, but one thing remains.  I
have two machines behind the firewall with ICQ on them; I'm running a
2.2.14 kernel with masquerading and port forwarding.  Using plain
masquerading, I can get basic functionality, such as sending messages.
However, to get the other features to work, I implement IPPORTFW,
forwarding packets on TCP ports 2000-2020 to the internal MASQed
address on my workstation via ipmasqadm portfw.  However, this method
requires me to port forward the external interface to a specific
machine on my private network; how do I set the firewall up so that
all users can gain all functionality?

(BTW, I tried the port 4000 mapping idea presented in the IP
Masquerade HOWTO; it didn't work for me)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

Frank

Post by Greg Leblan » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hello All,

> I've got my firewall more or less set up, but one thing remains. I
> have two machines behind the firewall with ICQ on them; I'm running a
> 2.2.14 kernel with masquerading and port forwarding. Using plain
> masquerading, I can get basic functionality, such as sending messages.
> However, to get the other features to work, I implement IPPORTFW,
> forwarding packets on TCP ports 2000-2020 to the internal MASQed
> address on my workstation via ipmasqadm portfw. However, this method
> requires me to port forward the external interface to a specific
> machine on my private network; how do I set the firewall up so that
> all users can gain all functionality?

Try the ip_masq_icq module.  There is a link to it from the
IP-MASQ-HOWTO on http://www.veryComputer.com/.
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

Multiple ICQ users behind a firewall

Post by (Frank » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Just installed the ip_masq_icq module, and so far as is well.  Thanks!

Frank

>> Hello All,

>> I've got my firewall more or less set up, but one thing remains. I
>> have two machines behind the firewall with ICQ on them; I'm running a
>> 2.2.14 kernel with masquerading and port forwarding. Using plain
>> masquerading, I can get basic functionality, such as sending messages.
>> However, to get the other features to work, I implement IPPORTFW,
>> forwarding packets on TCP ports 2000-2020 to the internal MASQed
>> address on my workstation via ipmasqadm portfw. However, this method
>> requires me to port forward the external interface to a specific
>> machine on my private network; how do I set the firewall up so that
>> all users can gain all functionality?

>Try the ip_masq_icq module.  There is a link to it from the
>IP-MASQ-HOWTO on http://www.veryComputer.com/.
>    Greg

>--
>It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
>Before you buy.

1. FreeBSD and natd - routing from behind firewall to behind firewall.

Having a strange problem with a FreeBSD gateway/firewall system I set up.
The gateway connects a small network to an ADSL line and has three static
external IP addresses.  I am using natd to provide access to the Internet
for computers in the internal LAN.

One of the machines behind the firewall is a web server and I use a natd
line similar to the following to route incoming connections to that box:

redirect_address 192.168.1.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.1

In this case the real IP of the web server is 192.168.1.100 and it is
accessed from outside the LAN by the address xxx.xxx.xxx.1.  This works.

The problem is that if any of the computers on the internal LAN try to
access the web server at xxx.xxx.xxx.1 it doesn't work.  I can access the
web server fine from inside the LAN using the local address (192.168.1.100).

I suspect there is a simple solution to this problem.  Can anyone explain
what it is?

Thanks,
Don

2. Mandrake 8.2 (Kernel 2.4.18) -- Partition check freeze

3. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

4. "Screens not found message" on X startup?

5. question about icq, netmeeting behind firewall??

6. to copy file from remote file system

7. ICQ Behind a Firewall ...

8. create an empty file with same owner/group and perm of another

9. Why ICQ can connected to Internet even behind a firewall?

10. ICQ only half working behind firewall

11. ICQ behind the firewall

12. ICQ behind IP Masq w/firewall UDP port 4000 ???

13. ICQ Behind a Firewall ...