IP Masquerading won't even load

Post by Joel Nelso » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Help!!!  I have re-compiled the kernal according to the masquerade
instructions.  These are the steps I have taken:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zimage
-rebooted
make modules
make modules_install

Then when I run /sbin/depmod -a I get a bunch of the following:

*** unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.0.33/xxxxxxxxxxxx

of course I see all the ip_masq stuff there.

Does anybody have any idea why I can't get this compiled correctly?
Sure would appreciate any help, Thanks!

Joel Nelson

Post by Mike L » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Help!!!  I have re-compiled the kernal according to the masquerade
> instructions.  These are the steps I have taken:

> make config
> make dep
> make clean
> make zimage
> -rebooted
> make modules
> make modules_install

Where is the 'make zlilo' ? It seems you are rebooting
the old kernel.

IP Masquerading won't even load

Post by Ken » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'll assume you also need to:
Move zimage to /boot/'whatever name is in /etc/lilo.conf'
Run lilo

Ken C.
remove zz's for reply

>> Help!!!  I have re-compiled the kernal according to the masquerade
>> instructions.  These are the steps I have taken:

>> make config
>> make dep
>> make clean
>> make zimage
>> -rebooted
>> make modules
>> make modules_install

>Where is the 'make zlilo' ? It seems you are rebooting
>the old kernel.

IP Masquerading won't even load

Post by Joel Nelso » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Where is the 'make zlilo' ? It seems you are rebooting
> the old kernel.

  I did the make zlilo one time and I have also just done make zimage
and then copied vmlinuz to the /boot directory.  Of course, still no
luck.  It does seem sometimes like I am not loading a new kernel.  I
dunno, spend weeks trying to get linux to work or use microsoft and just
reboot all the time? :)

IP Masquerading won't even load

Post by Ros » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>  I did the make zlilo one time and I have also just done make zimage
>and then copied vmlinuz to the /boot directory.  Of course, still no
>luck.  It does seem sometimes like I am not loading a new kernel.  I
>dunno, spend weeks trying to get linux to work or use microsoft and just
>reboot all the time? :)

you say you copied vmlinuz to /boot..

you need to move the file zImage (which is in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot for me) to the file vmlinuz in /boot
make sure that at least one entry in /etc/lilo.conf points to the new
file, i.e. vmlinuz.  the run lilo and reboot.  see if that helps any.

good luck

Ross

IP Masquerading won't even load

Post by cheezy » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Well, first of all, Lilo on my machine has it set up as 'vmlinuz2.0.33' for
some reason, and
there's a link in /boot from vmlinuz to vmlinuz2.0.33 . I don't know why.
Lilo.conf says vmlinuz2.0.33, and everything works, so it don't matter.
Another thing, before I did anything,
(well, after I untarred the new kernel) I did a 'make mrproper'. I read
somewhere it removes all
the old kernel configs (and the old kernel). I also compiled as much stuff
as possible as modules,
then I run a little script after every re-boot (it simplifies all the
ipfwadm stuff too).
My ppp support, ethernet, and IP masquerading stuff is all in a home-brew
script called
'masqme.now'. I run it then run my ppp-on script, and voila! Instant access
for my other two
machines. Theoretically, you could put it in some start-up file, but I have
no need to.

 #!/bin/sh
#
# Cheezy's Network/IP Masquerading script V0.1.01
# WOO HOO !

/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ppp
/sbin/modprobe ne io=0x340 irq=11
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
/sbin/route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_quake
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_cuseeme
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_vdolive
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 -D 0.0.0.0/0
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0 -D 0.0.0.0/0

Post by Ronald Col » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>   I did the make zlilo one time and I have also just done make zimage
> and then copied vmlinuz to the /boot directory.  Of course, still no
> luck.  It does seem sometimes like I am not loading a new kernel.  I
> dunno, spend weeks trying to get linux to work or use microsoft and just
> reboot all the time? :)

If you really can't tell which kernel you're booting, try copying
/vmlinuz to the floppy and boot from that.  If that works, then you've
screwed up telling lilo which kernel you want to boot.

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
My PGP fingerprint: 15 6E C7 91 5F AF 17 C4  24 93 CB 6B EB 38 B5 E5

1. IP Masquerade Modules won't load

Hope someone can help me out here.
I'm trying to load some ip masquerade modules but can't seem to get this

right.
Here's what I've done so far:

    1) Compiled kernel with modules support
    2) Compiled kernel with ip masquerade support (I've tried kernels
2.0.30, 2.1.43, and 2.1.55)
    3) Each time, I've run "make modules" and "make modules_install"
    4) In my rc.local file, I have the following lines:
        /sbin/depmod -a
        /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp.o
        /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc.o
        /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_quake.o
        /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio.o

So far, so good.

Here's what I get when I reboot:

    *** Unresolved symbols in module
/lib/modules/2.1.55/ipv4/ip_masq_ftp.o
      (also irc, quake, and raudio)
    kernel_version needed, but can't be found
      (I get this line once for each module)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-- Ludio --

2. flaky print spooling on Solaris 2.5, any solution?

3. ip masquerading - webpages won't load all the time

4. Large harddrives... heads up

5. Lilo won't load os/2, os/2 won't load lilo

6. ppp and modem pool

7. Help ! Won't Even Load

8. windows connection to AIX, winsock2

9. IP-MASQUERADE won't work from HPUX

10. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

11. IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

12. IP Masquerading and muiltiple IP's

13. IP Masquerade with Novell's IP Tunnel