Trouble installing libpcap

Post by Svein Tjonnda » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me solve this one (I was going
to use it for a course I'm giving). Basically, I'm trying to install
libpcap. Everything seems to work fine, but when I try to install tcpdump it
says it that libpcap is not installed. I have a hunch that my failure to
fully understand how to edit Makefile.in might be behind the problem
(documentation is painfully lacking).

As stated, any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

Svein

Trouble installing libpcap

Post by Svein Tjonnda » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Figured it out myself - but is there anywhere to go for information on
"Makefile.in"?

Thanks,
Svein

1. Having trouble making libpcap

Hello,

   I'm trying to make Libpcap 0.0.6 obtained from
ftp.ee.lbl.gov  so I can install the tcpdump program.
   This is on a Sparc 2 running SunOS 4.1.4. with the
C compiler that comes with the OS.
   I get the make errors shown below.

   Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

# make
rm -f pcap-snit.o; cc -O -DFDDI -DETHER_SERVICE   -I. -c pcap-snit.c
"./pcap.h", line 99: syntax error at or near type word "u_char"
"./pcap.h", line 102: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"./pcap.h", line 103: syntax error at or near type word "char"
"./pcap.h", line 104: syntax error at or near type word "char"
  ( etc,etc.)
"./pcap.h", line 116: pcap_t declared as parameter to non-function
"./pcap.h", line 116: fatal error: too many errors
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `pcap-snit.o'

2. Cirrus Logic 7548 PCI [FR]

3. Should I install BSD packet filter to using the libpcap library?

4. upgrading and installing new hard drive ?

5. libpcap install problems...

6. Cannot compile kernel 2.0.30

7. Installing libpcap

8. Scanner on parallel port

9. installing libpcap

10. Trying to install SNORT <- fuk libpcap !!

11. I installed libpcap tcpdump.org trojan

12. Snort & LibPcap Install Question

13. Should I install BSD packet filter to using the libpcap library?