comcast and linux

Post by bigbi » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:16:28

I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
up with comcast(mac address)?
I was told to go to this site.

sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
link and it says:

Comcast High-Speed Internet
Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

Registration Code: (no idea?)

If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
sas.se1.attbb.net)

I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
this url',hehe.

comcast and linux

Post by Quaoa » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:34:26

> I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
> modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

> I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
> blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

> Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
> up with comcast(mac address)?
> I was told to go to this site.

> sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

> So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
> link and it says:

> Comcast High-Speed Internet
> Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

> Registration Code: (no idea?)

> If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
> when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
> sas.se1.attbb.net)

> I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
> system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
> this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
> this url',hehe.

This site is for registering the modem with comcast.  If you have a
self-install kit for Comcast, you were supplied with a customer account
number and the MAC address of the modem.  You can set this up from any
computer, it has nothing to do with the particular computer used - only
the modem that connects to the cable.  Call the customer care number and
ask specifically what data is to be supplied in each entry if you are
confused.  The process is called "provisioning" the modem so that
Comcast's database of authorized users has the MAC address of the modem
and knows that your modem is authorised on the cable at your physical
address.  Comcast does not support operating systems, they assume that
you have a working connection so you do indeed need to connect a
computer that can "see" the internet connection, Windows or Linux.

comcast and linux

Post by Al » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:43:18

Quote:> I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
> modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

> I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
> blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

> Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
> up with comcast(mac address)?
> I was told to go to this site.

> sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

> So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
> link and it says:

> Comcast High-Speed Internet
> Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

> Registration Code: (no idea?)

> If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
> when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
> sas.se1.attbb.net)

> I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
> system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
> this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
> this url',hehe.

If your news server that you have access to has decent retention, see if you
can find this older post from someone with the exact same issue as you.
Catch-22: DNS <=> Comcast registration

comcast and linux

Post by bigbi » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:33:10

> > I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
> > modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

> > I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
> > blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

> > Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
> > up with comcast(mac address)?
> > I was told to go to this site.

> > sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

> > So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
> > link and it says:

> > Comcast High-Speed Internet
> > Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

> > Registration Code: (no idea?)

> > If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
> > when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
> > sas.se1.attbb.net)

> > I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
> > system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
> > this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
> > this url',hehe.

> This site is for registering the modem with comcast.  If you have a
> self-install kit for Comcast, you were supplied with a customer account
> number and the MAC address of the modem.  You can set this up from any
> computer, it has nothing to do with the particular computer used - only
> the modem that connects to the cable.  Call the customer care number and
> ask specifically what data is to be supplied in each entry if you are
> confused.  The process is called "provisioning" the modem so that
> Comcast's database of authorized users has the MAC address of the modem
> and knows that your modem is authorised on the cable at your physical
> address.  Comcast does not support operating systems, they assume that
> you have a working connection so you do indeed need to connect a
> computer that can "see" the internet connection, Windows or Linux.

No kits, they wouldnt give me a modem, because I didnt have windows,
so I bought my own.  Guy took the kit with him, bastard.

comcast and linux

Post by bigbi » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:33:51

> > I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
> > modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

> > I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
> > blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

> > Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
> > up with comcast(mac address)?
> > I was told to go to this site.

> > sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

> > So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
> > link and it says:

> > Comcast High-Speed Internet
> > Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

> > Registration Code: (no idea?)

> > If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
> > when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
> > sas.se1.attbb.net)

> > I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
> > system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
> > this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
> > this url',hehe.

> This site is for registering the modem with comcast.  If you have a
> self-install kit for Comcast, you were supplied with a customer account
> number and the MAC address of the modem.  You can set this up from any
> computer, it has nothing to do with the particular computer used - only
> the modem that connects to the cable.  Call the customer care number and
> ask specifically what data is to be supplied in each entry if you are
> confused.  The process is called "provisioning" the modem so that
> Comcast's database of authorized users has the MAC address of the modem
> and knows that your modem is authorised on the cable at your physical
> address.  Comcast does not support operating systems, they assume that
> you have a working connection so you do indeed need to connect a
> computer that can "see" the internet connection, Windows or Linux.

So the internet site picks up the mac address(So I cant do it from any
machine on the internet, ie at work).

comcast and linux

Post by bigbi » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:39:47

> > I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
> > modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

> > I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
> > blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

> > Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
> > up with comcast(mac address)?
> > I was told to go to this site.

> > sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

> > So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
> > link and it says:

> > Comcast High-Speed Internet
> > Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

> > Registration Code: (no idea?)

> > If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
> > when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
> > sas.se1.attbb.net)

> > I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
> > system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
> > this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
> > this url',hehe.

> If your news server that you have access to has decent retention, see if you
> can find this older post from someone with the exact same issue as you.
> Catch-22: DNS <=> Comcast registration

This kind of fixes the problem.  Does anybody have the nameserver for
comcast, atlant(se)

The Catch-22 is for ne
204.127.202.19 - probably ne

Any se(atlanta users out there).

comcast and linux

Post by Ted Potte » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:08:44

>> > I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
>> > modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

>> > I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
>> > blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

>> > Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
>> > up with comcast(mac address)?
>> > I was told to go to this site.

>> > sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

>> > So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
>> > link and it says:

>> > Comcast High-Speed Internet
>> > Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

>> > Registration Code: (no idea?)

>> > If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
>> > when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
>> > sas.se1.attbb.net)

>> > I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
>> > system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
>> > this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
>> > this url',hehe.

>> This site is for registering the modem with comcast.  If you have a
>> self-install kit for Comcast, you were supplied with a customer account
>> number and the MAC address of the modem.  You can set this up from any
>> computer, it has nothing to do with the particular computer used - only
>> the modem that connects to the cable.  Call the customer care number and
>> ask specifically what data is to be supplied in each entry if you are
>> confused.  The process is called "provisioning" the modem so that
>> Comcast's database of authorized users has the MAC address of the modem
>> and knows that your modem is authorised on the cable at your physical
>> address.  Comcast does not support operating systems, they assume that
>> you have a working connection so you do indeed need to connect a
>> computer that can "see" the internet connection, Windows or Linux.

> No kits, they wouldnt give me a modem, because I didnt have windows,
> so I bought my own.  Guy took the kit with him, bastard.

You can use that url as a proxy setting in mozilla. That should allow the
site to come up. Then go through the registration proccess. If you do not
have the information needed just call comcast and get it. I did this last
week for a client. One note the client provided the cable modem, which was
not supported by the comcast service. It was a newer modem that used a
protocal not yet provided by comcast.

hth

comcast and linux

Post by Cro » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:49:52

> > > I am trying to setup my system(redhat8) with comcast cable
> > > modem(ethernet).  They say all I need is dhcp enabled and I am off.

> > > I installed the modem and the lights are all green or all on and
> > > blinking.  So assume there is some activity.

> > > Of course there is no internet because I think I have to set something
> > > up with comcast(mac address)?
> > > I was told to go to this site.

> > > sas.se1.attbb.net, but through Mozilla it is unknown.

> > > So my question, can I register from another machine?  I went to the
> > > link and it says:

> > > Comcast High-Speed Internet
> > > Account Number: ( I assume this is my cable account #)?

> > > Registration Code: (no idea?)

> > > If I cant do this from another machine, how would I connet to network
> > > when linux doesnt acknowledge names yet.(Could I use an ip address -
> > > sas.se1.attbb.net)

> > > I would ask comcast, but they were funny, I told them I have a unix
> > > system and they said, sure, just open up Internet Explorer and type
> > > this in.  I said I use Mozilla, 'Well, find Internet Explorer and type
> > > this url',hehe.

> > If your news server that you have access to has decent retention, see if you
> > can find this older post from someone with the exact same issue as you.
> > Catch-22: DNS <=> Comcast registration

> This kind of fixes the problem.  Does anybody have the nameserver for
> comcast, atlant(se)

> The Catch-22 is for ne
> 204.127.202.19 - probably ne

> Any se(atlanta users out there).