Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

Post by John Rees » Mon, 14 May 2001 02:40:39

I am the network engineer for a small (140-user) decentralized (11 sites)
intermodal shipping company. Until 1998 we were a SCO Unix shop, but
a poorly considered software purchase brought Microsoft NT 4 into the
back office, and it's role has been growing.

When I came to the company late in 2000, the decision had already been
made to move major services back to SCO. Since then we've been hit by a
M$ license audit, and the same month as the audit M$ announced it will
discontinue the very products we were forced to license. I have long been
an advocate of Unix and Linux in the back office, but now for the first
time there's a lot of management interest in Linux on the desktop.

I am beginning to plan a back-office conversion strategy that wil keep
enterprise apps on SCO and move all other services running on M$
platforms to Linux. I would like to take advantage of current
interest in Linux on the desktop to expand the conversion, but am
hampered by limited Linux groupware choices, and limited integration between
server resources and the desktop.

I would greatly appreciate the collective's opinions regarding a
replacement strategy for M$ Exchange 5.5 server. Most of our users
connect through POP3. Group calendaring and Outlook Windows Access are
very popular. Of course, e-mail has become (rightly or wrongly) the chief
method of file transfer, largely due to the excellent integration between
Exchange, Outlook, and the M$ desktop office suite. It will be hard to win
acceptance for a Linux alternative that can't offer integration with
desktop apps, calendaring, or Web access to e-mail.

Any views regarding this matter are welcome. I am also interested in
recommended white papers and company case studies.

Thanks in advance. Your help is much appreciated.

John Reese

Post by Steve Co » Mon, 14 May 2001 04:49:40

> I would greatly appreciate the collective's opinions regarding a
> replacement strategy for M$ Exchange 5.5 server. Most of our users
> connect through POP3. Group calendaring and Outlook Windows Access are
> very popular. Of course, e-mail has become (rightly or wrongly) the
> chief method of file transfer, largely due to the excellent integration
> between Exchange, Outlook, and the M$ desktop office suite. It will be
> hard to win acceptance for a Linux alternative that can't offer
> integration with desktop apps, calendaring, or Web access to e-mail.

we've been looking into a simlar move where I work - but the biggest
problem is the 'other' features of exchange apart from the email.

It may be worth looking at the new Insight product from Bynari - it
appears to be  a client platform independent email/groupware server.

Steve (no connection or interest in Bynari)

Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

Post by John Rees » Mon, 14 May 2001 17:09:03

I looked up Steve's reference and did a little extra research as well.
Bynari does indeed have a product called TradeXCH that appears to be
wrapped up with a server product -- not sure about it's separability. I
also found that Bynari had spun off an earlier version of the client
called Trade now located at Sourceforge.

> I would greatly appreciate the collective's opinions regarding a
> replacement strategy for M$ Exchange 5.5 server. Most of our users
> connect through POP3. Group calendaring and Outlook Windows Access are
> very popular. Of course, e-mail has become (rightly or wrongly) the
> chief method of file transfer, largely due to the excellent integration
> between Exchange, Outlook, and the M$ desktop office suite. It will be
> hard to win acceptance for a Linux alternative that can't offer
> integration with desktop apps, calendaring, or Web access to e-mail.

> Any views regarding this matter are welcome. I am also interested in
> recommended white papers and company case studies.

> Thanks in advance. Your help is much appreciated.

> John Reese

Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

Post by Teamware Lin » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 05:10:16

Hi John

You can take a look at Teamware Office which is a full Groupware
system with Mail, Calendar, Discussion Forums and Document Management.

There is a free 90 day evaluation for Linux and NT at:

http://www.teamware.com/download/

You can find more about Teamware Office at:

http://www.teamware.com/products/

Regards

Colin Sydes
Teamware Group
http://www.teamware.com/

> I am the network engineer for a small (140-user) decentralized (11 sites)
> intermodal shipping company. Until 1998 we were a SCO Unix shop, but
> a poorly considered software purchase brought Microsoft NT 4 into the
> back office, and it's role has been growing.

> When I came to the company late in 2000, the decision had already been
> made to move major services back to SCO. Since then we've been hit by a
> M$ license audit, and the same month as the audit M$ announced it will
> discontinue the very products we were forced to license. I have long been
> an advocate of Unix and Linux in the back office, but now for the first
> time there's a lot of management interest in Linux on the desktop.

> I am beginning to plan a back-office conversion strategy that wil keep
> enterprise apps on SCO and move all other services running on M$
> platforms to Linux. I would like to take advantage of current
> interest in Linux on the desktop to expand the conversion, but am
> hampered by limited Linux groupware choices, and limited integration between
> server resources and the desktop.

> I would greatly appreciate the collective's opinions regarding a
> replacement strategy for M$ Exchange 5.5 server. Most of our users
> connect through POP3. Group calendaring and Outlook Windows Access are
> very popular. Of course, e-mail has become (rightly or wrongly) the chief
> method of file transfer, largely due to the excellent integration between
> Exchange, Outlook, and the M$ desktop office suite. It will be hard to win
> acceptance for a Linux alternative that can't offer integration with
> desktop apps, calendaring, or Web access to e-mail.

> Any views regarding this matter are welcome. I am also interested in
> recommended white papers and company case studies.

> Thanks in advance. Your help is much appreciated.

> John Reese

1. MS-exchange 5.5 DNS configuration on solaris 5.5

Hi
I want to deployan  E-mail account with the ms-exchange 5.5. i got the
notice that i must configure the DNS server. My DNS server resides on Sun
SOLARIS 5.5 could anyone tell me how to configure it
i need to configure an A address and an MX address but i dont know on which
table
(named.boot/named.hosts?)
how do i enter them? (named? Bind? )
Thx

--
Doron Ben Avraham

2. NFS-Bootdisk

3. Portforwarding and Exchange 5.5

4. Jounalist in need of help

5. Using kmail with exchange 5.5 server

6. syslog facilities problem

7. Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 using FreeBSD as a demand dial router

8. What is inode zero dtime?

9. Thread safe alternative to mktime() in SunOS 5.5?

10. Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

11. Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

12. is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

13. Exchange alternative??