Samba load balancing with multiple NICs, how to?

Samba load balancing with multiple NICs, how to?

Post by Andreas Peet » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

We want to run a Linux Samba server with three 100MBit-Ethernet
interfaces.
All interfaces will be in the same logical IP-subnet and they will all
be attached to a switch.
What's the best way to achieve a proper load balancing between all three
NICs?
One idea is to have different clients connect to the three different IPs
of the NICs. However, will Samba handle a client using the interface
that
the client connected to, or will it just use the system's routing table
to make the outgoing connections?
Any ideas, comments?

About our configuration: We are running Linux kernel 2.2.2 (on SuSE 6.0
distribution) and Samba 1.9.18p10. Unfortunately, we cannot use Samba
2.0
at the moment, because it doesnt properly handle our clients (about 25
Windows Terminal Servers).

Greetings,
   Andreas