lan browsing with Konqueror

Post by Christopher Boot » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:26:43

Follow up

KDE control panel has (on Mandrake) 2 configuration things for this,
Under Configuration,KDE,network, there is Windows Shares and Lan Browsing
These update files
/$HOME/.kde/share/config/kio_lanrc
/$HOME/.kde/share/config/lisarc
/$HOME/.kde/share/config/rlisarc

While looking for these lisarc and rlisarc files, I came across -
/$HOME/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/dirtree/lan.desktop

it has a line which says URL=lan:/
which is the problem I changed that to URL=lan://localhost/localhost and it works by displaying the active network shares for my computer as defined in the KDE control center

I then changed it to read rlan:/

This then should display the machines on the network

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:01:26 +1100

> Hi guys

> I've got a question, using samba 2.2.1 on Mandrake 8.1, Konqueror using lisa and reslisa daemons.

> I've been trying to setup the lan browsing through Konqueror, talk about undocumented features.
> I've finally worked most of it out.
> Clicking on Network brings an error - cannot connect to localhost as it trys to connect to lan://localhost
> change it to read lan:/hostname and it works depending on lisa configuration shows FTP, SMB, HTTP and NFS shares/connections
> clicking on SMB changes the address in the address bar to read smb://hostname
> and shows shares

> FTP does likewise and asks for authentication and allows you to broswe the ftp site a la explorer/konqueror file manager style.

> typing in the address bar rlan:/ scans the local subnet for machines, but doesn't name resolve them all or list them all for that manner

> (gnomba when scanning via ip finds heaps more and name resolves them)
> Very strange state of affairs.

> Has anyone got this set up successfully

> Christopher Booth

lan browsing with Konqueror

Post by Wayne McDermot » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:29:35

Quote:> Follow up

> KDE control panel has (on Mandrake) 2 configuration things for this,
> Under Configuration,KDE,network, there is Windows Shares and Lan Browsing
> These update files
> /$HOME/.kde/share/config/kio_lanrc
> /$HOME/.kde/share/config/lisarc
> /$HOME/.kde/share/config/rlisarc

> While looking for these lisarc and rlisarc files, I came across -
> /$HOME/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/dirtree/lan.desktop

> it has a line which says URL=lan:/
> which is the problem I changed that to URL=lan://localhost/localhost and

it works by displaying the active network shares for my computer as defined
in the KDE control center

> I then changed it to read rlan:/

> This then should display the machines on the network

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:01:26 +1100

> > Hi guys

> > I've got a question, using samba 2.2.1 on Mandrake 8.1, Konqueror using

lisa and reslisa daemons.
Quote:

> > I've been trying to setup the lan browsing through Konqueror, talk about

undocumented features.
Quote:> > I've finally worked most of it out.
> > Clicking on Network brings an error - cannot connect to localhost as it

trys to connect to lan://localhost
Quote:> > change it to read lan:/hostname and it works depending on lisa

configuration shows FTP, SMB, HTTP and NFS shares/connections
Quote:> > clicking on SMB changes the address in the address bar to read
smb://hostname
> > and shows shares

> > FTP does likewise and asks for authentication and allows you to broswe

the ftp site a la explorer/konqueror file manager style.
Quote:

> > typing in the address bar rlan:/ scans the local subnet for machines,

but doesn't name resolve them all or list them all for that manner

Quote:

> > (gnomba when scanning via ip finds heaps more and name resolves them)
> > Very strange state of affairs.

> > Has anyone got this set up successfully

> > Christopher Booth

Chris,
Thanks very much, I've been bashing my head against this all morning trying
to get to RH7.1 boxes to talk to each other. I'd like to add that for Redhat
7.1 the path is

.kde/share/apps/konqueror/dirtree/remote/lan.desktop

Cheers,

Wayne McDermott

lan browsing with Konqueror

Post by Christopher Boot » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:38:28

Update No.2

I found the LISa home page, http://lisa-home.sourceforge.net/ and read up a bit more about it.  It uses port 7741.

The reason why the default lan:/ didn't work was because the lisa daemon wasn't started.  Type lisa --help and it will tell you what to do, it is also explained on the LISa home page, this is very well written and explains things very well
On Friday, I was able to browse several machines on the network when I typed rlan:/
Now unfortunately I can't, I suspect the IT guys have blocked that port on the routers.  Apparently the lisa daemon pings machines on that port.
I don't understand why the nmblookup doesn't work though.

Alternative Network Neighbourhoods are Gnomba and xsmbrowser, komba and LinNeighborhood.  Xsmbrowser works well, though it's interface is a little clunky.  Check out rpmfind.net for them

I love linux, but sometimes you long for the easy setup and work first time of ugghh Windows.

Chris

P.D Check out komba, it is impressive, LinNeighborhood is nice too.
I don't have to miss windows now

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:29:35 +1000

> > Follow up

> > KDE control panel has (on Mandrake) 2 configuration things for this,
> > Under Configuration,KDE,network, there is Windows Shares and Lan Browsing
> > These update files
> > /$HOME/.kde/share/config/kio_lanrc
> > /$HOME/.kde/share/config/lisarc
> > /$HOME/.kde/share/config/rlisarc

> > While looking for these lisarc and rlisarc files, I came across -
> > /$HOME/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/dirtree/lan.desktop

> > it has a line which says URL=lan:/
> > which is the problem I changed that to URL=lan://localhost/localhost and
> it works by displaying the active network shares for my computer as defined
> in the KDE control center

> > I then changed it to read rlan:/

> > This then should display the machines on the network

> > On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:01:26 +1100

> > > Hi guys

> > > I've got a question, using samba 2.2.1 on Mandrake 8.1, Konqueror using
> lisa and reslisa daemons.

> > > I've been trying to setup the lan browsing through Konqueror, talk about
> undocumented features.
> > > I've finally worked most of it out.
> > > Clicking on Network brings an error - cannot connect to localhost as it
> trys to connect to lan://localhost
> > > change it to read lan:/hostname and it works depending on lisa
> configuration shows FTP, SMB, HTTP and NFS shares/connections
> > > clicking on SMB changes the address in the address bar to read
> smb://hostname
> > > and shows shares

> > > FTP does likewise and asks for authentication and allows you to broswe
> the ftp site a la explorer/konqueror file manager style.

> > > typing in the address bar rlan:/ scans the local subnet for machines,
> but doesn't name resolve them all or list them all for that manner

> > > (gnomba when scanning via ip finds heaps more and name resolves them)
> > > Very strange state of affairs.

> > > Has anyone got this set up successfully

> > > Christopher Booth

> Chris,
> Thanks very much, I've been bashing my head against this all morning trying
> to get to RH7.1 boxes to talk to each other. I'd like to add that for Redhat
> 7.1 the path is

> .kde/share/apps/konqueror/dirtree/remote/lan.desktop

> Cheers,

> Wayne McDermott

1. Lan browsing with Konqueror

[...]

2. System calls

3. problem to browse the LAN with konqueror :-((

4. SC-875 (ncr53c8xx) under RedHat 4.1

5. Konqueror lan browsing

6. getchar() causes link failure

7. Tabbed browsing in Konqueror

8. Problem compiling Mac-On-Linux

9. Slow Konqueror file browsing after update HELP

10. konqueror hangs browsing samba shares

11. Can't browse html with Konqueror in rc2

12. Konqueror browsing go slow

13. Can't get Konqueror to browse my network