Pipeline 25/ISDN router shows constant WAN activity

Pipeline 25/ISDN router shows constant WAN activity

Post by Felix Morley Fin » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

This may not be the most appropriate newsgroup, please let me know if
there's a better choice.  I know it's not a Linux question.

I've got an Ascend Pipeline 25 ISDN router.  The last couple of days I
have noticed a strange kind of activity on it.  When nothing should be
going on (no Netscape, no sendmail daemon, no lost ping command
running away), the WAN status window shows a constant stream of
packets going in and out, about one per second.  The Ether status
window shows no activity.  It's as if someone is pinging my router.
Naturally enough the darned ISDN line stays connected, running up my
meter.  Disconnecting the Ethernet line to the computer has no effect,
as I expected, but disconnect the ISDN line stops the process, and it
does not resume once the ISDN side reinits.

1.  Does anybody have any experience with a similar aituation?

2.  Other than bringing a packet sniffer home from work, is there any
way to find out what is in these packets?

     PGP = 9D 93 1E 78 5B D7 42 1C   95 4E 9E DD 3F 6F 21 98

Pipeline 25/ISDN router shows constant WAN activity

Post by Matt Holdre » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>This may not be the most appropriate newsgroup, please let me know if
>there's a better choice.  I know it's not a Linux question.

>I've got an Ascend Pipeline 25 ISDN router.  The last couple of days I
>have noticed a strange kind of activity on it.  When nothing should be
>going on (no Netscape, no sendmail daemon, no lost ping command
>running away), the WAN status window shows a constant stream of
>packets going in and out, about one per second.  The Ether status
>window shows no activity.  It's as if someone is pinging my router.
>Naturally enough the darned ISDN line stays connected, running up my
>meter.  Disconnecting the Ethernet line to the computer has no effect,
>as I expected, but disconnect the ISDN line stops the process, and it
>does not resume once the ISDN side reinits.

>1.  Does anybody have any experience with a similar aituation?

>2.  Other than bringing a packet sniffer home from work, is there any
>way to find out what is in these packets?

There is a new feature in 4.6Ci12 which will display the packet that caused the
Pipeline to dial out.

Debug option to display packets that cause unwanted dial-outs
Display packets as an aid to writing filters. Anew debug option captures and
displays packets that cause the Ascend unit to dial out when a connection is
not needed. You can then get the information you need to write a filter that
prevents the packet from bringing up a connection.

This enhancement adds the wan-data dial-out (wdDialout) option to the debug
monitor. This option enables you to display a packet that caused an unwanted
dial-out session. When packets are not captured If a dial-out is initiated for
any of the following reasons, the wdDialout option does not capture a
packet:Dial-out caused by the Ctrl-D user commandDial-out caused by callback
securityDial-out on nailed channelsDial-out caused by NAT (Network Access
Translation) acquiring an IP addressDial-out initiated for IP over X.25, when
the X.25 internet profile changes to active and there is data waiting for X.25
to bring up the connectionDial-out caused by IGMP (Internet Group Management
Protocol) multicast forwardingDial-out to acquire a DNS address during PPP
negotiationsDial-out in response to a DHCP Discover messageDial-out caused by
the Ascend unit sending a DHCP packet for DHCP client processingDial-out caused

Turning on the debug option
1 Enter the debug mode by quickly typing:
Esc [ Esc =
2 At the ">" prompt type:
help ascend
you should see the wdDialout option listed. By default, the option is turned
off.
3 To turn the option on, type:
wdDialout
WANDATA dialout display is ON
This is a toggle command. Typing it again turns the option off. See the next
section for details on how packets are displayed in the debug monitor.
4 To exit the debug mode and return to the VT-100 interface, type quit.
Displaying packets
You can view wdDialout displays in the debug monitor. This section shows
several examples.

Pipeline 25/ISDN router shows constant WAN activity

Post by Jim Ki » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>I've got an Ascend Pipeline 25 ISDN router.  The last couple of days I
>>have noticed a strange kind of activity on it.  When nothing should be
>>going on (no Netscape, no sendmail daemon, no lost ping command
>>running away), the WAN status window shows a constant stream of
>>packets going in and out, about one per second.  The Ether status
>>window shows no activity.  It's as if someone is pinging my router.
>>Naturally enough the darned ISDN line stays connected, running up my
>>meter.  Disconnecting the Ethernet line to the computer has no effect,
>>as I expected, but disconnect the ISDN line stops the process, and it
>>does not resume once the ISDN side reinits.

I had a similar thing happen with my Pipeline 25 recently.  After two months of
ridiculous phone bills, I figured out that some computer on my network (perhaps
several) was sending out a broadcast message for the purpose of network
browse caching.  (this is an NT 4 feature).  It turned out that while the
pipeline has a filter to filter out broadcast messages (so that they don't
cause the ISDN connection to remain live), the filter was not turned on.

Read in your Pipeline manual the section on filters, and set up their sample
one (which simply filters out broadcasts).  I don't have my Pipeline manual at

numbers.  The WAN light IS real, and you're running up phone charges.

1. Linux and ISDN ISA TAs (plus the incredible Ascend Pipeline 25)

Which of the following ISDN ISA TAs would you recommend for a Linux
box, running version 2.0.8 on a Pentium-133 32meg RAM system: Motorola
BSP ISA TA, USR 128 ISA TA, and the 3com ISA TA (all internal PC cards
?)  I'm looking for multilink PPP support, sync PPP (or at least decent
async PPP), throughput much closer to 16Kbytes/second (as opposed to
10Kbytes per second), and ofcourse, "seamless" support for PPPD and
CHAT.  I'd sure appreciate any response.

        BTW, I had the luxury of trying out an old ascend pipline 25 for a few
weeks.  I must confess - an ISDN "modem" the pipeline 25 is NOT!  It is
incredible that a $700 plus box does not support simple dynamic PPP, or
clear text, dumb terminal, PC-to-PC ISDN calls.  Amazing!

        Finally, I must commend GTE for for the accuracy, effeciency, and speed
with which they installed my ISDN line.  My line was installed in 7 days
flat, ahead of thier own schedule!  Within this 7 day period, they
visited my residence three times to check my existing service for ISDN
suitabilty, install/provision my BRI, and cater to my unwavering
indecisiveness!  In additon, I received all the setup information I
needed promptly, and followup calls to see how I liked the service.
It's amazing how this service now compares with PacBell's ISDN
"everywhere".  I've got some colleagues who are still waiting for a call
from PacBell, to initiate an order they placed 5 weeks ago!  If only GTE
would eliminate round-the-clock measured service.  That's the only
drawback with their service.

Ken Onwere

2. Quickie shell question

3. FS: Pipeline 50 ISDN Router

4. Another question...

5. Problem with Ascend Pipeline 130 ISDN/T1 router

6. Need Help with a DIGIBOARD PC/8 ...

7. FS: Pipeline 50 ISDN Router

8. 4096k ext2 will panics

9. Pipeline 50 ISDN router- need to reset full access pwd.

10. FS/FT Ascend Pipeline 50 IP/IPX isdn router

11. Pipeline 75 routers (ISDN)

12. Linux CIPE Connection Via Pipeline 75 ISDN Router

13. only show the WAN submenu if WAN is selected